Ancient Mesopotamia City of Ur clay Jar and Statue

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ryan reid, Jun 7, 2021.

1. ryan reid

ryan reid New Member

20190417_154131.jpg 20190417_154138.jpg 20190417_154147.jpg 20190417_154155.jpg 20190417_154204.jpg Hello Everyone. I am in need of some information regarding a clay Jar, part of a statue and a ring that I need to get looked at and possibly appraised. I was given these pieces a while back and the origin of the pieces go directly to the City of Ur in southern Iraq. specifically about 30 yards next to the Ziggurat of Ur. I am based out of Las Vegas, NV and am looking to possibly put these up for auction. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2021
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Moved to Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain Forum.

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

4. ryan reid

ryan reid New Member

so what are my options then

5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You are supposed to send them back but absolutely no idea how ones goes about doing that.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How did you come to have them?

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The ring doesn't look remotely that old. Maybe it slipped off an excavator's finger.

How are you able to establish provenance? How do you know for sure 'the origin of the pieces go directly to the City of Ur in southern Iraq. specifically about 30 yards next to the Ziggurat of Ur'?

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Due to the recent history of warfare and looting in Iraq, this type of artifact is very problematic.

The Smithsonian Institution has a Cultural Rescue Initiative that might be helpful in understanding your options:
    https://culturalrescue.si.edu/

DizzyDaff and Bronwen like this.
  9. ryan reid

ryan reid New Member

i bought the items at a yard sale, they had it in a wooden box. the old lady said her husband was given it to him by his dad who had helped excavate the area in the late 1920's she told me the story that her husbands dad told him. i dont whether that is legit or not.

10. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

@ryan reid I would go back to the woman who sold it and if possible, get her to document the story with her father-in-law's name, etc. He may have been with a legitimate archeology team.
    If this is from the 1920s, it could be a legitimate/legal piece, as laws are not usually retroactive and many laws were formed in the 1970s and since. But either way, provonence is what needs to be tracked and to do that you need the gentleman's name who actually went to Iraq. Then with names & dates, etc, more can be found, such as any Antiquities groups or excavations which happened in the time period.

I would also ask her to contact you if she finds any old correspondence regarding the pieces. (long shot, but you never know!)
    Here's a link with a bit of info for you https://iadaa.org/imprint/faq/

You might end up with a wonderfullly documented piece of history, or you might have a lovely donation to a museum in your name.
    Good luck!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  11. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

PS > I think handling items of this age with gloves would be a good practice.

Houseful likes this.
  12. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted