Ancient glass or not?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mario, May 9, 2018.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I've had this vase for awhile now, picked it up in one of my forays. I'm not an expert but I do know when something is out of the norm. This vase caught my attention because of the outside surface and the multicolor shine in some spots. Guess it was made in a 3 piece mold as it has 2 seams running down to the foot, no sign of a pontil, inside looks smooth glass. Measures 3-1/2"H x 2-11/16thM x 1"F. Hopefully you will be able to point me in the right direction, thanks. greek1.jpg greek2.jpg greek3.jpg greek4.jpg greek5.jpg greek6.jpg greek7.jpg greek8.jpg greek9.jpg greek10.jpg

2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I'm going for "not". The spout looks just too neat for me. My guess and it is a guess is that it's art glass. Best to wait for the glass experts who will be along later.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

True, but what gets me is the finish or surface on the outside, have yet to find anything like it, thanks.

judy likes this.
  4. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's also scavo finish. These are modern - some made on Mallorca, others in Italy.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  6. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Searching this seems to get a few.
    "LAFIORE SPANISH ART GLASS vase - Sand textured SCAVO"

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

glass thats been buried for a long time, develops this type of Iridescence, but like stephen said, the top lip doesn't match the rest of the outer finish.

8. charlie cheswick

there is something about it though, perhaps it had a longer neck originally ?

9. charlie cheswick

looks a bit like the sea glass bottles i find, when you look very close does the surface look like alot of c marks ?

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup. Lafiore are Mallorquin glass.

11. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

No, no c's looks very granular though.

12. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Reminds me a bit of my Nuutajärvi Oiva Toikka Mansikkapaikka vase I found a few months ago - took me a few months to find the signature - very hidden in the frit/texture on the base. Maybe triple check yours...just an idea. Might be way off.

40459883515_dd13689f08_kdev.jpg 27484141468_717c91545c_kdev.jpg 40641319794_0d600608d3_kdev.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted