Anagama vase: signature?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Potteryplease, May 27, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for posting so many threads on antiquers! I do try and do research myself-- promise! Thank you for everyone's help.

With that said, I found this 8" x 7.5" vase today (20 x 19 cm) for $12 at my local antique mall in Portland, Oregon, USA.

I think it may be anagama pottery- a kind of Japanese wood-fired kiln in which firings rely on ash to color individual pieces:

https://www.veniceclayartists.com/anagama-wood-fired-stoneware-from-shigaraki-3/

I can't read the incised name. It was concealed under those adhesive felt pads. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

IMG_9735.jpeg IMG_9736.jpeg IMG_9737.jpeg IMG_9738.jpeg IMG_9743.jpeg IMG_9739.jpeg IMG_9742.jpeg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Looks very similar to those in your link, doesn't it. Very nice. The signature looks more like handwriting than Japanese characters. Too bad we couldn't see any bases of the vases in the link. Raku firing has been and still is done today. My feeling is that the pot hasn't strayed too far from where it was made. Pretty sure there are some strong studio pottery places in Oregon. But, that's pure speculation on my part.

Potteryplease and crowleys like this.
  3. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Thank you for the comments. I do know that the dealer I purchased this from also has a Southern California (Palm Springs) connection, but who knows?

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted