An Old European? Tobacco Pipe, Never Smoked, Birch Bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, May 4, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

A friend suggested Black Forest...I don't think so. Though never smoked, the flexible part of the stem has only the steel spring left...and that's in bad shape. It was apparently covered in a leather tube with a fabric covering, based on the remnants in the stem & mouthpiece. A family treasure, I suppose...moved around over, what...a century? All that unprotected moving destroyed the short flex tube...and maybe caused some of the chips in the bark on the stick-stem. There doesn't seem to be any applied finish to the bowl, stem or mouthpiece.

The bowl is ~3" tall, ~1½" diameter; the stick-stem is ~½" dia, and about a foot long; the mouthpiece is 4" long. The threads on the stem almost look hand-cut, but the threads in the bowl appear to have been tapped, so probably not.

I would just like to know what to call it, and a bonus would be where & when made. Thanks for looking! Warren

fullsizeoutput_8fbe.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8fb5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8fb4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8fb1.jpeg

Potteryplease and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

The spring, the color of the exposed wood, and especially the color of the 'raw' interior wood, do not look old to me. (Are you sure it's not stained?) I would expect those things to be much darker, much more patina-ed if they were 100 years old.

With that said, I am often wrong.

Can you give a close-up of the mouthpiece? That might help ID it.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    komokwa likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

Best I can offer...wlw

fullsizeoutput_8fbd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8fb0.jpeg

Potteryplease likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't think so either, especially if the bowl is birchwood.

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"Kalmasch" might be a useful term:

Kalmasch
    : A traditional German pipe shape, primarily seen in meerschaum, hallmarked by a bowl and shank of nearly the same, large diameter with a slightly bent shank, and often a very long stem made of cherry wood, flexible tubing, and various other materials.
    https://pipedia.org/wiki/Glossary

Yours is obviously not meerschaum, however, and a straight bowl rather than bent with a shank.

BoudiccaJones and wlwhittier like this.
  6. wlwhittier

Funny thing...I have just what you describe, and haven't been able to ID it for over 10 years...not that I've tried very hard, but...
    I'll take a few pics...post 'em here PDQ!

7. wlwhittier

I picked this up 10 or 1

fullsizeoutput_8fd6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8fd5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8fd4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8fd3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8fd2.jpeg

8. wlwhittier

...10 or 11 years ago, for 2 good reasons; the first was the sweet aroma it carries, without a hint of harshness...and second, the seller was a disgruntled wife or girlfriend getting rid of all of 'his d____d stuff', who sold it for $1. Hard to walk away from, y'know?

It weighs 9.2 oz, 261 gm.

Thanks for the ID! Do you have any idea of its age?

Draft saved Draft deleted