Featured Amethyst (glass?) necklace and Bohemian garnet brooches

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I've been searching for Bohemian garnet jewelry forever, and I think I finally found some. I'm not sure if they're glass or actual garnets. I think the smaller brooch is an antique, but I'm not sure about the other two pieces of jewelry. The gold plating on the pendant is beginning to wear away. The brooches appear to be bronze. Ideas on their age and value? 20171009_153651.jpg 20171009_153550.jpg 20171009_153626.jpg 20171009_153243.jpg 20171009_153243.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Barn Owl

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the garnets look like garnets !!!! :happy:

judy, Christmasjoy, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  4. Barn Owl

:woot: I hope so! I've lusted after them for years now, but I'm too stingy to buy them new. The only thing I was worried about was how the stones were set.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the claws...look like claws !!:happy:

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The big center one might be glass; they often mixed the two. The larger pin has had its back replaced, no biggie.

7. Barn Owl

So you would say that the one with the big center stone as around the same age as the smaller one?

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  8. evelyb30

My guess would be yes. The clasp and pin stem were replaced at some point, so the style doesn't have to match the age of the pin.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree with evelyn30.

If you see bubbles in any of the stones they would be glass. If not there is no way to be sure they are real stones unless you have them tested.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

.... and actually, if some are glass, it makes little difference to the value. The stones were mined and the glass made in Jablonec/Gablonz.

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looking at the pendant and seeing the texture on the back I would guess the stone is glass, not amethyst because the metal looks costume. Very pretty :)

Christmasjoy, judy and Barn Owl like this.
  12. Barn Owl

That's what I was wondering about. TThe back texture is interesting. It seemed higher quality than the costume jewelry I usually come across. Is there a way to determine the age?

13. Barn Owl

So the glass stones are as valuable as the actual garnets? Do the brooches look like they can be from the 1800s?

judy likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yes to both questions. Late 19th into early 20th.

15. evelyb30

The amethyst may well be real; Victorian jewelry makers did some screwy stuff. Once the new deposits were found, prices dropped on those stones.

judy and Barn Owl like this.
  16. Barn Owl

It's a pretty large pendant. I'll take a comparison photo once I have a chance. Is there a way to tell if the stone's real, short of going to an appraiser?

17. evelyb30

Get a good loupe and check for air bubbles; air bubbles are a dead give-away. If you see little spiky line-type thingies inside the stone, it ups the odds that it's real.

18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Another way to tell is with magnification is to see if the facet lines are sharp or slightly rounded. Sharp means cut real stone slightly round means molded.
    greg

19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Gemstone facet edges can be rounded and glass facet edges can be sharp,it's not a fool proof way to tell the difference.

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree. A very nice pendant, but 20th century costume. The back is a give-away.

Draft saved Draft deleted