American Coin Silver or European?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bakersgma, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I picked up this 8.5 inch spoon in the ordinary serving spoon shape 2 years ago at a church sale and it's been bugging me on and off since then. Very light weight for its size and definitely silver of some sort, but I cannot figure out where it was made.

The only marks on the reverse of the handle are two identical rectangular punches with the letters CM in script. (picture attached) The only "design" is an engraved sprig of some kind of foliage with a diagonally placed rectangle (suitable for monogram?) across the stem. The engraving has that little "dot" or "chip" look to some of it. (picture attached)

The only thing unusual about the shape of the spoon is that the handle end has a curve to it so that only the point of the end rests on the table.

I can also see a double-lobed overlap from the handle onto the bowl of the spoon on the underside. But it's too faint to see in a picture.

There is what looks like the remains of shallow dot or chip engraved initials on the reverse of the handle end. Unfortunately it's so worn that it is impossible to see in a pic. K M over D W and possibly a year beneath that - 1 (European style) 8 something something.

So does anyone have any idea where this is from?

CM Spoon Design Edit 1.jpg CM Mark edit 1.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Probably irrelevant, but at the same sale I also got two 835 silver "dragon" serving spoons by K. Hestenes of Norway. We have a lot of people with Scandinavian heritage in this neck of the woods. ;)

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It really reminds me of this old Norwegian one on script style
    0119 norway 004.jpg

4. Bakersgma

Hmm. That sure does look similar, Terry. Minus the date punch of course.

Did you ever find out the maker on that? Or did you get the pic elsewhere?

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I think that one remained some blokes in the scandinavian shed

6. Bakersgma

Thanks for looking, Terry.

I was kind of hoping for at least an IDK from @DragonflyWink or @Ladybranch

Let's see if the tag thing gets their attention next time they're here.

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Is Dragonfly a member here? Certainly hope so!

8. Bakersgma

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not sure I can help much, but from what can be seen in the partial shots, would guess early to mid 19th century Danish or Norwegian, likely from outside a larger town - multiple maker's marks were often used in place of proper hallmarks (German is another possibility). Looked through my very meager references with old Danish and German makers and wasn't really surprised at not finding a match...

Are you sure the Hestenes spoons aren't .830 rather than .835?

~Cheryl

10. Bakersgma

Thank you so much for looking in, Cheryl. Even when you "can't help much," you help me immensely. ;)

And of course, you're right about the Hestenes spoons. I was typing from memory and did not have them at hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted