American artists on German shooting target

Discussion in 'Art' started by J Dagger, Jun 26, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

This is a strange thing that I don’t own. Saw it for sale as a poster. Put two and two together and realized it’s likely a shooting target. Did the Germans have something against American 20th century art/artists? WWII related if so? Or something else? At first I thought it was an exhibition poster but being that it’s printed by a hunting association (DJV) and that they have other targets featuring similarly stylized animals I’d think this was also a target. Plus I don’t think this is a known American artwork, and not by one of those artists, or is it? Hoping someone can maybe help me understand what’s going on here? Maybe I got part of it wrong? Just a curious thing. I don’t have better photos. EB4B6737-637B-4331-85EE-5EC69C19F51A.jpeg 089E7D1A-4880-4843-AE46-517CF0A8446F.jpeg

mmarco102 likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With that list of artists and the specific time frame it is clearly connected with an exhibition. And Roaring found which one.

The only time certain artists were demonized was during the Nazi regime. The artists that were banned were German artists, not foreign ones. The idea behind it was that German artists should make art that represented pure and superior German culture. Foreign artists were of no importance to the Nazis, with the exception of Old Masters, whose paintings were looted from occupied countries.

You didn't say what the DJV Jagdscheibe (hunting target) sign has to do with the poster/advert. Was it used as backing cardboard?
    Not with the dates 1913-1993 on it.;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
    Roaring20s, komokwa and mmarco102 like this.
  4. J Dagger

Roaring20s and komokwa like this.
  5. J Dagger

Ugh I messed up trying to reply to your post as far as the formatting. I think you’ll get what I was trying to do though. Lol.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not sure that I agree with that. Plenty of foreign artists were considered "degenerate", but the Nazis couldn't do much about controlling the output of artists beyond their grasp. They could, however, and did, remove many such paintings from German collections.

Any Jewelry, Roaring20s and komokwa like this.
  7. J Dagger

I decided I should probably try to buy it since it’s such an odd thing but I was beaten to the punch. Here’s some of the DJV targets including the boar. 62EA5AB7-46DC-4F46-BC60-AE65D24E68A8.jpeg BABCF785-D548-47F5-B1DF-580A9B50E4FA.jpeg 2910CF30-C81B-40F5-8980-5E4A985B93D6.jpeg 8D659789-A45C-455A-A788-3EEE323E8F2B.jpeg CE051B45-50BD-4FDD-B6EF-70A8C51FEFF8.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree in the sense that a lot of Modern art was considered degenerate art. But as you said, those artists and art were beyond their grasp. They weren't under any threat, nor did they risk being shot.

The term 'degenerate' art, although an older term, was used to show the Germans which art forms didn't fit in the Nazi 'wholesome German' philosophy and esthetic.
    Afaik only works by foreign artists Gauguin, Chagall, Kandinsky and Munch were removed from German museums and auctioned off abroad (maybe they were the only foreign 'degenerate' works in German museums at the time?), and the only foreign art included in the exhibition of degenerate art was that of Chagall, Kandinsky and Munch, which had been very popular in pre-Nazi Germany. I forgot about those when I pictured the exhibition in my mind yesterday.

10. J Dagger

Unconnected I’d think too but a very cool token. One of the coolest I’ve ever seen. I keep most of the tokens and medals that come my way. I’m only a causal collector but I kind of like exonumia more than government issued coinage. I collect coins casually too but I find exonumia more interesting. I want one of these tokens now.

Draft saved Draft deleted