Amberina Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cfh, Nov 27, 2022.

1. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

I found this vase today. I was thinking maybe a Fenton coin dot thing. But I don’t think that is right. It is 13 and 1/2 inches tall. Any ideas on who made it? Does 1960’s sound right for when it was made? Thanks! FFB88DBD-E74E-4C12-BA7E-674D0FF46EE4.jpeg 93575475-FC9D-4F93-B8E2-E6D045123A2A.jpeg 86B13095-C1CA-4E32-8CA8-2BCA390559AC.jpeg 3BF0A560-F63B-4ECE-B8BF-B2A23D0BFD3A.jpeg 88748783-D286-41EB-82DB-E215C63C8220.jpeg

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Try Borske Sklo.

judy, johnnycb09 and cfh like this.
  3. Neece

Neece Active Member

New England Glass patented amberina back in the late 19th century so I'd start there (and also Libbey) I see this pattern referred to as thumbprint or inverted thumbprint.

judy, TallCakes and cfh like this.
  4. Neece

Neece Active Member

judy and cfh like this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Yes, New England developed it, but its' still being made by various glass houses. This one looks like about 1970 or so.

judy and cfh like this.
  6. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Yes. Very nice. I was thinking maybe Czech. I do have very similar drinking glasses that had a czech foil sticker on them.

judy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

I had almost exactly this vase, albeit it was a single colour. That was Borske.

judy likes this.
  8. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

I am really liking it. I feel like it has to be Borske even though I cant find the exact color. They have this same vase in many different colors. Thanks!

judy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

You're most welcome.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is it indentations in the glass, or very large controlled bubbles?

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I found this listing for a similar vase and the title seems to say something then throws in the name "style". In the description it doesn't say "style" but says that it still has it's original foil label for "American Cut Crystal Corp."

Google searches lead me to believe that company dates no earlier than the 1970s but I really don't know and I didn't dig deep.

There is only one picture and it doesn't show the label so no idea if it's right or not. Anyway here it is.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1900s-czech-art-glass-cranberry-440546231
    1900'S CZECH ART GLASS CRANBERRY AMBERINA HAND BLOWN MOSER STYLE THUMBPRINT VASE
    upload_2022-11-28_23-7-12.png
    "beautiful VINTAGE 1900's CZECH HUGE CRANBERRY AMBERINA MOUTH BLOWN HAND CUT CRYSTAL THUMBPRINT GLASS VASE. This gorgeous vase is in excellent condition with no chips, no cracks and no breaks. It measures an amazing 14" tall, with a top diameter of about 7 1/2", and a tapering bottom diameter of about 5". This beautiful vase has incredible color, and still has its original foil lable from the "American Cut Crystal Corp."

Here is a similar type bowl of different shape that has an American Cut Crystal Corp label saying made in Czechoslovakia. I'd guess they are an importer?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254980772318

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    cfh, TallCakes and komokwa like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Arg. 1900s it ain't! Czechoslovakia didn't exist then. That made in label is a 60s or 70s ish Sklo Union one.

They're indents.

cfh and say_it_slowly like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I was hoping they meant that as the "style" but it's not clear if they had any idea. It was really the label I was hoping was helpful:)

cfh likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

The label was absolutely helpful. Backs it up as a Sklo Union maker and the timeframe.

cfh likes this.
  15. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Indentations.

16. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Thanks owned and slowly. You guys are all awesome!

say_it_slowly likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

It's a very nice vase, that.

say_it_slowly, dgbjwc and cfh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted