Amber Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kardinalisimo, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Amber or not?
    Few other questions. Can someone explain which amber is expensive and which one is not? I see some pieces selling for thousand of dollars and then other described as "genuine" for dirty cheap. Does it depend on the quality of the beads, color, region ( where else besides Baltic sea), size etc.. I know the authentic one with the insects are quite expensive.
    I guess age is difficult to determine. A lot of sellers describe pieces as "antique amber ......". Can amber be not antique? To be amber, the tree sap has to be 50 million years old anyway. And how do you tell amber from the younger copal?

Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I have some Baltic Amber with insects inside.
    Mine is 43 million years old.
    All I know is genuine Amber floats in salt water and sinks in fresh water.
    I put 5-6 spoons of seasalt in a cup with water and my Amber floated.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

Who and how figured that your amber was exactly 43 mil years old? Must be an expensive piece with the insect inside?
    Single bead would float in salt water but how about a whole necklace? How many spoons of salt?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

43-44 give or take a million or two, :rolleyes:

The cord or string holding the necklace might disrupt the floating experiment.
    Fill a cup with water, put one bead in and if it is Amber it should sink, stir it and keep adding salt until it floats.

antidiem likes this.
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

antidiem likes this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

the whole necklace will float if amber.
    If you are going to list on ebay, do the salt and fresh water tests, the static test and the acetone (nail polish remover test) and mention those tests in your listing.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Does the old amber HAVE to have insects inside??

8. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Not at all. That depends on whether any insects were in the path of (and got caught in) the tree resin .... at least that's how I understand it.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hmmmmm....but the necklace I have from my Mom doesn't look at all like the one shown here....will have to dig it out and check...if I even still have it!!! Great info to check on it!!!

10. daveydempsey

If you get any with insects you will need a magnifying glass or loope to see them.
    Here are mine as an example. I took the pics using a USB microscope.

Amber 1.jpg

Amber 2.jpg

Amber 3.jpg

Amber 4.jpg

amber 5.jpg

Amber 6.jpg

Amber 7.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

True amber will produce static electricity when rubbed with silk, floats and also gives a hazy blue veil under UV light. HOWEVER the same applies to reconstituted amber which is bits put together.

The stunningly expensive stuff is butterscotch amber in proper bead form. It can go for tens of thousands, as it's sought after in China and the Middle East. I sold a very small necklace for almost four hundred pounds. A friend fished out a very battered old one and I got six hundred for that.

The first post here shows a necklace of Baltic amber polished chips. Value is about twenty to forty pounds here. Very recent.

quirkygirl likes this.
  12. kardinalisimo

Thanks for the info.
    How an amber chip can be recent as amber is ancient in nature? I guess you mean like recently polished?
    Also, how can you tell Baltic from other amber?

13. daveydempsey

Unscrupulous amber finders in the Baltic regions gather up all the small useless bits and melt them into bigger better looking bits and sometimes find modern day insects and set them into the pliable material until it sets hard.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Reconstituted isn't always bad, if it's marked as such. It's pretty tricky to insert whole insects without it being obvious.

15. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I know almost nothing about amber but my mother had the pictured piece's and when she passed away in 1999 it came to me, according to her she had it for years and had got it from her mother. There seems to be a lack of interest in amber anymore or perhaps I'm mistaken. In any case I would love someone's opinion on this and any additional info you can give. (Btw the clasp and beads are 14k)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

quirkygirl likes this.
  16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think antique vs. modern means when the beads were made rather than referring to the amber itself. The same would be true of gemstone beads.

I have nice, large amber beads I bought in the early or mid-70s when a lot of trade beads and amber were being imported into the U.S. Not sure where they are, though. One of these days they'll turn up and then I'll be able to sell them. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted