Alvin Sterling Chateau Rose pattern

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Singer, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Singer

Singer New Member

CF092F24-C8BC-4B01-B889-A50DB945A623.jpeg 48705758-AC0F-4F73-832C-182508465330.jpeg AC749B3D-F417-4D20-861B-07E5624B58A8.jpeg This is a complete setting for 12 plus four serving pieces. What is this set worth?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2021
  2. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

What is it? I can't see it well enough, but if it its silver plate it is worth very little these days. I just gave away my MIL twelve set with every serving piece and twelve extra spoons. It was in pristine never used condition. Unwanted part of the past. If it is sterling, that's little different.

3. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

Sorry, didn't see that you said it is sterling; I would still like to see better photos.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Check EBay Sold prices.

5. Daniel G

Daniel G Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this pattern is really only worth its weight in silver, imo. Weigh your silver pieces (excluding the knives and and cake knife). Divide the number of grams by 31.1 to get troy ounces. Multiply this by .925 to get silver weight in troy ounces. Multiply this by current price of silver (right around $26 per troy ounce today) and then factor in a processing fee for melting your silver (9-15%). In today’s market, this will avoid auction/ebay fees and taxes and probably net you the most. That being said, it may or may not be convenient for you. Best of luck to you!

kyratango likes this.
  6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I would offer up the following strategy that should allow you to determine value fairly easily. It's a technique I use quite often when searching for sterling flatware sets. Since we know the flatware pattern, and we have a photo showing what's included, we should be able to get a fairly solid estimate of value. Here's a few pointers:

1. Unless a pattern is highly desirable (like Reed & Barton Francis I) generally I view flatware price as the weight of the sterling with some premium over spot value of silver.

2. That means to find value, we should always try to get accurate weight of the set.

3. Don't have an accurate scale? Or more importantly, don't have the silverware available for you to weigh? No problem, that's where the internet is beautiful. My formula is simple, I google Makers Name Pattern Name Sterling Grams. Now i'm looking for ebay listings or online listings of silverware and the weight. The goal for me is to find the gram weight of a single salad fork, or spoon or dinner fork etc. Then I multiply by the number of salad forks in the set etc. As a general rule, I allow for 20 grams of sterling in each large knife handle and 10 grams for the smaller knife handles. So...here's what I came up with based on your set:

ESTIMATE.JPG

Just want to mention, this took about 5 minutes looking on ebay, you can do it really fast when you have practice. So now we have an estimate of weight.

4. With weight estimate, you can figure out value in a few ways. Personally I like to look at recent listings and judge if a set sells at a premium from spot. This is most easily observed with a listing that gives accurate sterling weight and compare it to the spot price at the time of the sale. If the price of the sale is close to spot price (actual sales on ebay, not current listings) I conclude the set is not selling at premium.

5. Armed with the gram info you can now consider the value of the set against spot price of silver here, just plug in your grams into the calculator:

https://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculators/ster_calculator.aspx

Simply considering spot at today's silver price, this set has a melt value = approximately $1915.75

Now....If you have the set in your possession and a good scale, would you mind comparing my weight estimates to your actual weights (remember for the sterling handles I'm not counting the entire weight only the estimate of the handle) and mind letting me know how close I was????

kyratango, komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted