Aluminum? Pot metal? Vase with lady on side

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 31, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this yesterday at my local thrift along with a chinese ginger jar I posted earlier asking about it's age - I bought them when the manager told me he'd sell me both for only $20 each.
    I got this one because I thought the fish coming out like 3d on the bottom round part of the vase and a pretty lady hanging off the main part of it was different & definitely cool!
    Can anyone tell me about this piece? (Im guessing Asian because of the fish?)
    I thought it was made of aluminum or pot metal, but a magnet won't stick to it so I'm assuming it's made of aluminum?
    I did an image search but nothing exact came up - the closest was a bronze vase, but with the scuffed mark under the lip of the vase that shows silver/metal color, this can't be a bronze, right?
    Any idea how old it is?
    Any way to make it look better - can I paint it & if so should I use oil or acrylic to be sure it'll stick?
    Any help or thoughts on what I have would be greatly appreciated!

20240830_162255.jpg 20240830_163818.jpg 20240830_163928.jpg 20240830_162302.jpg 20240830_162307.jpg 20240830_162329.jpg 20240830_162336.jpg

20240830_163048.jpg 20240830_162406.jpg 20240830_162352.jpg

Bronwen and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Stripped the background, and not finding anything exactly like it. :sour:
    20240830_162255.png

Potteryplease, sabre123 and kyratango like this.
  4. journeymagazine

sabre123 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Can't get more Art Nouveau than that. Not Asian but the carp is Japanese-inspired.

Debora

kyratango and mirana like this.
  6. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

It looks like spelter to me. I've never seen pewter degrade like that. Is it heavy?

kyratango likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

European art nouveau. Would think pot metal/spelter with some kind of plating that is badly degraded and peeling at the top. The other possibility is that we are seeing paint. You might try a little lacqer thinner on the bottom to see if any paint comes off. If it is paint, I would strip it to get a better look at what you have.

8. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

I know spelter will deteriorate and begin to crumble (that could account for the spots and interior). I used to collect victrola and cylinder machines and it was a common issue - so many parts made from pot metal (spelter). That being said, if it is aluminum, Naval Jelly is good for removing discoloration.

9. journeymagazine

How do I tell aluminum from pot metal (magnet doesn't stick- so aluminum?)

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Aluminum is a whole lot lighter than pot metal.

Since tere is no iron or steel in pot metal a magnet would not stick t it.

kyratango and journeymagazine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted