Altar cloth with cyrillic, help with translate

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by fettan4, Nov 4, 2019.

1. fettan4

fettan4 Active Member

7930D531-E2A7-4CDB-91E4-761D37EF0FF4.jpeg AE4A927A-EEAF-4774-886A-A6DBEC842D45.jpeg Can some one translate this text of cyrilllic caharceter? 7930D531-E2A7-4CDB-91E4-761D37EF0FF4.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

That is very beautiful! Is the cross stitched or a metal (sterling?) plaque?

Welcome, @fettan4!

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Boy, bet that's been stored in a drawer for a long while. Do like the knotted thorn motif.

Debora

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

fettan4, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

No, it appears to be either Church Slavonic or some other language besides Russian. I'm going to tag one of our newer members, @Lena345 and also @April07 in case one of them can help.

Thanks for tagging me, though! I'm always interested in this sort of thing.

fettan4, BMRT, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  6. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Oh, wow. It's in church Slavonic, and it says "The slave of God, Count Dmitry, rest in peace".
    What size is it? I have a suspicion this could be used as some part of the funeral ritual.

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

looks like Romnian - Wallachian. eventually Bulgarian or older Serbian.
    the one name reads Dimitriya.

fettan4, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for replying to my tag, @April07 . I hope that @fettan4 will be back soon to say more about the size.

April07, Any Jewelry and fettan4 like this.
  9. fettan4

fettan4 Active Member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate!
    The size is 50x60 cm (19x23 inches)

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  10. fettan4

fettan4 Active Member

Does someone knows the age of it?

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

church slavonic is a VERY unprecise term directly deducted from the Latin Slavonia, whose frontiers changed very often and were never precise; roughly it would be the Pannonian Basin.
    sometimes it simply describes the script used by the Orthodox church in the Danube and Save plains.
    a further point of the problem - most people were illiterate at the time and there were only church people that were capable of writing.
    I don't think this item is older than 100 years. the script would be easily readible for today's Romanians and Bulgarians.

12. April07

I am not that strong in church rituals but it seems me a bit small to cover the altar. The closest fit by size (also by design) that I found is the so-called 'vozdukh' ('air') that is used until now to cover the dish that keeps the bread that represents the body of Christ and is used also in funeral-related rituals. I think it could (and should) be dated before the 1917 Russian revolution because of the presence of the word 'Count'. However, I would not discard, of course, the possibility of some Count Dmitry who died in emigration already after the revolution.

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and scoutshouse like this.
  13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

That's pretty dense. I mean that in the best way.

April07 and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

What is the function of the ring in the upper left corner? Is there more than one?

I was thinking "pillow topper" until I saw that...

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Hadn't noticed that before. Maybe it hung from a divider like a screen, during the funeral service of Count Dmitry?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    scoutshouse, Jivvy and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Whoa. Wallachia. That's where Vlad Dracul ruled!

scoutshouse likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Wallachia only used Romanian Cyrillic script until ca 1860, when it changed to Latin script. This cloth looks late 19th century to me, but I could be wrong.
    Dmitry doesn't sound like a Romanian name to me, but there are always exceptions.
    I don't know how different Romanian Cyrillic script is from church Slavonic, but I imagine @April07 would have noticed the difference.
    In short, I am not convinced this could be Wallachian.

scoutshouse likes this.
  18. April07

I doubt I would understand the text if it would be Romanian language. It's clearly Church Slavonic, in its Russian Empire version

19. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

The larger cloth is an Iliton (or Eileton in the Greek Orthodox tradition) - the covering for the smaller cloth - the Antimins (i.e. the Antiminsion). The two here appear to have been conjoined into a Corporax - the Western equivalent of the Eileton and Antiminsion.

April07 likes this.
  20. April07

Interesting! Do you think it can be Old Believers' antimins, for the design?

Draft saved Draft deleted