Alexandrite glass swan - "Made in Sweden" - who?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, May 10, 2016.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Do we know who used these nondescript "Made in Sweden" paper labels? I can find other examples of the stickers, but only on unidentified items.

This is alexandrite / neodymium glass, if that helps narrow down a maker. I haven't been able to find a match in my searches (either of the swan shape, glass color, or sticker).

Thanks!

IMG_9107.JPG
    IMG_9108.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Try using neodymium glass as well, that might do it.

3. UncleChuckTX

Thanks - I had searched for that term - sorry if I wasn't clear. The only other neodymium piece with a matching sticker I found was this one (with no maker listed):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEODYMIUM-P...WEDEN-Lavender-Blue-ALEXANDRITE-/252340725747

I found other pieces by Kontglas and Maleras, but their signatures / stickers don't match. Unless this is a generic "Made in Sweden" label, meant for use by anyone (like those standard rectangular "Japan" labels that I see on an almost-daily basis...).

4. Ownedbybear

Ah, gotcha. I've seen some bubble buds with that label, and I think they may have been ascribed to Aseda.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. UncleChuckTX

I'll check it out. Appreciate your help!

6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

you probably won't come up with an exact maker. I have had alexandrite pieces with both the Konstglas and made in Sweden stickers. Almost all Maleras is signed but earlier ones just had Maleras stickers, I'm 99% sure that this isn't maleras. I have seen Alexandrite swans like your's before, In fact I have had a few of them pass through my Alexandrite collection over the years, Never could come up with a maker. I gifted most to friends.
    I did buy an signed Alexandrite swan on eBay a couple days ago. Seller did not know what she had......got it for a song. It should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I'm pretty sure it IS Maleras. Can't wait for it to get here!
    As for your swan. Don't fret the maker too much. Alexandrite collectors are buying for the color not the maker.

7. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is 'alexandrite'?

8. Ownedbybear

It's also called neodymium glass, because that's the element that is added to the glass recipe. It changes colour according to the wavelength of the ambient light. So, in daylight it's that lilac sort of colour and under fluorescent light it's blue. There's other types of colour changing glass, but this is the most common.

9. Thank you. I came across this term the other day, did look up the meaning, and said it was when there were gold flecks in the glass! I couldn't see that in your piece, so I was wondering. I do have a piece of glass I'm going to sell, and was going to use that term. Now I won't!

lauragarnet likes this.
  10. UncleChuckTX

Glass with flecks such as gold is usually termed "aventurine". The color of my swan is called "alexandrite", because of the color and color-shift properties Ownedbybear described, which mimic real alexandrite gemstones:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ale...5oNLMAhXE7iYKHRBpCO4QsAQIHA&biw=1721&bih=1036

Here are a couple of links I have saved regarding alexandrite (aka neodymium) glass:

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/alexandrite_glass/neodymium_glass.htm

http://www.mindspring.com/~reyne/neowhatsis.html

You can see the examples have a wide range of purple hues (seen in sunlight or under tungsten lightbulbs - the old filament style) - from lilac / lavender, to deeper purples and fuschias.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    cxgirl likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Yup, aventurine is metal flecks, usually gold or copper. I've some other colour changing glass which does yellow/green and a piece that does a sort of muddy pink to purple.

12. UncleChuckTX

Thanks so much for the information. Hope your swan purchase arrives safely!

13. Thanks so much, UncleChuckTX and Ownedbybear. I love all kinds of glass, and really love finding out new things!

14. Bdigger

View attachment 38489
    ALISA.....here is 2 pics of one of my alexandrite bowls. One is taken in incandescent light (lavender), the other in fluorescent light (blue). The amount of neodymium used in the glass formula can drastically effect the color change. That's why the older pieces are coveted by collectors. Heisey did an especially good job with their Alexandrite color in the 30's and their pieces can command several hundred dollars. There is a lot of new Alexandrite being made which is also good, and can be had at a reasonable price. The trick is recognizing the color at a flea market or sale.
    DSCN2463.JPG DSCN2457 (2).JPG
    DSCN2453 (2).JPG

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    cxgirl likes this.
  15. Wow! Thanks so much for the pics. Amazing...
    I'm a glass fool.
    And, it's Alisa, not alias, but I get that ALL the time. :cat:

16. Bdigger

LOL....sorry ALISA.....I was typing to fast to catch my mistake!

Alisa in Memphis likes this.
  17. Haha...I'm a fast typer too. Even *I* do it. ;)

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

We'll just call you AKA for short.

Alisa in Memphis and lauragarnet like this.
  19. haha! Yep. My name is hard for people, and I've been called just about every imaginable pronounciation of it. I respond to 'hey you' too!

Draft saved Draft deleted