Albrecht Durer Engraving Help

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mario, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

How common would this engraving be? as I have yet to see one with his monogram on it.. Sheet measures 7-7/8H x 6-1/8W, image 4-1/8H x 3-1/4W, framed 8-1/4H x 6-1/2W. I sent it to Swans Auction and they said it was a recent reproduction which I don't agree with that, it is an engraving as the plate mark can be clearly seen in the pictures. and the size correspond with some of his work. Any opinion or help on what to do with it will be greatly appreciated. Currently I have it on ebay at 7500, just in case..... durera.jpg durerb.jpg durerc.jpg durerd.jpg durere.jpg durerf.jpg durerg.jpg durerh.jpg durera.jpg durerb.jpg durerc.jpg durerd.jpg durere.jpg durerf.jpg durerg.jpg durerh.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango, wlwhittier and Bakersgma like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

The paper is no way 500 years old! 1948 writing on the back makes me think it was made shortly prior to that date.
    IMHO
    Mikey

kyratango, wlwhittier and silverbell like this.
  4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If that's the case show me one copy of it that has his monogram on it like the one that is on the one that I have, I'd really appreciate it, thx..

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  5. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

It was given as a Christmas gift in '48. Used my phone translator and googled the hell out the translation which is where I came to Frisian which is a west Germanic language. I guess just the frame is going on 100 years so, yes, I think its that old. They sure must have loved aunt Martha. dureri.jpg

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In the early 16th century, Albrecht Dürer created the pen and ink drawing we know of as Praying Hands, or Betende Hände in German. The drawing is on blue paper that Dürer made himself.

As far as I can see, for Durer this was a study for a detail in a larger work, not a finished work itself, and he did not sign it or replicate it.

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

kyratango, 916Bulldogs123 and Bronwen like this.
  8. 2manybooks

As this image has been very popular, and reproduced in many forms since the original drawing, the type of paper yours is printed on will be an important indicator of its age. Your engraving seems to be printed on "wove" paper - a type of paper first made in the 18th century, and which continues to be made today. Prior to that time, an engraving would be on "laid" paper.

This article explains the history and characteristics of different types of paper:
    https://harvardartmuseums.org/artic...ctures-watermarks-and-a-conservator-s-passion

And this presents a catalog of the watermarks that appear on authenticated Durer prints:
    https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/conservation/watermarks-durer/

Nothing would prevent a copy engraving from including Durer's monogram.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A beautiful but very common print. The Dürer Praying Hands print was found in just about every R. Catholic household in Western Europe at one time. My very pious grandmother also had one.
    Googling the hell out the translation probably led to 1+1=3. The written text is not in Frisian but in High German, which is 'regular' German.

The original German text:
    Albrecht Dürer. Betende Hände. Kupferstich 1508. Unserer lieben Tante Martha, Weihnachten 1948. Von Hanna und Willi.

Frisian translation:
    Albrecht Dürer. Biddende hannen. Kopergravure 1508. Oan ús leave muoike Martha, Kryst 1948. Fan Hanna en Willi.
    (I hope you can see the difference)

English translation:
    Albrecht Dürer. Praying hands. Copper engraving 1508. To our dear Aunt Martha, Christmas 1948. From Hanna and Willi.
    :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know that he ever did it as an engraving, though others may have. It is certainly one of his currently best known drawings, and has been reproduced endlessly.

Yours does not look like an engraving to me.

It's surprising to me that I'm not finding any antique engravings of this at all.

It's possible that it's celebrity is modern. Previous to the 20th C, this probably was seen only as a study, and not acceptable as a complete image.

11. Any Jewelry

I don't know either, but he did do copper engraving. His father was a goldsmith, and he was taught to do fine metalwork before he went on to train as a painter etc.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

He did magnificent engravings (wood and copper), but I don't know that he did this as an engraving.

He did other studies as well: Young Hare (1502) is signed, but Great piece of Turf (1503) is not. His choice. I don't know that either of those was done as an engraving by him, but they are both very well-known and often reproduced images.

13. 2manybooks

The size also corresponds to a common book format. I am wondering if it might have originally been included as a plate in a book about Durer, or any religious subject. Book illustrations are sometimes dressed up with faux plate marks. In other words, the image may or may not be an actual engraving.

A catalogue raisonne (complete list) of Durer's prints does not show it among his works.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_Dürer_catalogue_raisonné,_1972_Strauss

According to this wikipedia article, "The first public recognition of the artwork was in 1871 when it was exhibited in Vienna" -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayi...18 sketches,brother, one of eighteen siblings.

So, all of the popular reproductions of this drawing would date after that exhibition.

14. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This level of discussion an' commentary is what drew me into our site, over a year ago. So very many of you are so deeply versed on such a diverse array of subjects...it's just a treat to listen in on these elevated , erudite an' generous analyses. I am routinely grateful for the ride!

bluumz, NanaB, 916Bulldogs123 and 5 others like this.
  15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

That's why I direct my inquiries here. Knowledgeable and very helpful, all around.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  16. 916Bulldogs123

17. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Pretty close, but, nowhere near. Thx.

18. Any Jewelry

That is a contradiction.;)

bluumz and kyratango like this.
  19. 916Bulldogs123