Albany Glass Works Repro or Original?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mario, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I got a hold of this bottle the other day and come to find out that they are rare, lot of repros though. My question is, how would I be able to find out if it is a repro or not? It measures 6-1/4H x 4"W x 1-1/8" mouth. On the repros the side seam goes all the way up the neck, on mine it stops at the neck. Picture of Washington on one side and a ship on the other. Any help will be greatly appreciated. al1.jpg al2.jpg al3.jpg al4.jpg al5.jpg al6.jpg al7.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Is the top of the neck a perfect round circle?? need a photo to tell for sure. The round circle on the bottom looks suspicious.
    greg

judy likes this.
  3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

No, it's off a mold with the neck being applied because the seam stops at the begining of the shoulder and the pontil mark is on the thicker part of the foot. Has patina to it, here are some picture of the mouth, hopefully they'll suffice, thanks. al8.jpg al9.jpg al10.jpg

judy likes this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I don't seek out and have only a few antique bottles, but the mouth shape, bottom (no pontil), overall shape and lack of clarity do not look correct to me, and I would assume a repro. Compare to this one (all three pics), which I assume is authentic: https://www.hecklerauction.com/auctions/96/view/?lot=145

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    After looking at the mouth, the bottom and the color I have my doubts also. I thought it might be Cleavenger but looks too strange. I would have passed on it.
    It might be a "sleeper" and worth some money but not for me.
    greg

judy likes this.
  6. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted