AI vs. Brown's Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Citizens

Discussion in 'Books' started by 3798dmmnn, Oct 13, 2024 at 4:44 PM.

1. 3798dmmnn

3798dmmnn Member

I have a copy of the book above, Brown's Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Citizens and Fac-Similes, dated on the title page in Roman Numerals, MDCCCXLV - 1845. I started researching online.

Some similar books have the date 1846, MDCCCXLCI

These versions are different - 1846 has 3 full color prints. 1845 does not...for example, there is a silhouette of George Washington in the both versions, but only the 1846 version has a blue background..Otherwise, they have the same silhouettes and letters printed, slightly different in size and book bindings.

One version was mostly destroyed in a fire, one wasn't - not sure which.

Then I did an AI search which said this: The version of William Henry Brown's "Portrait Gallery of Distinguished American Citizens" that includes color frontispieces is the first edition published in 1846, which features "27 tinted lithographed silhouette portraits" along with facsimiles of handwriting.

My book doesn't have color frontispieces, but it is dated 1845 - doesn't that make mine the first edition, not the 1846 version?

Or is AI right?

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would/could you post photographs of the cover, title page and reverse title page?

Debora

komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 5:46 PM
    2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted