Featured Age & Value Help Requested 18 kt gold Mexican Orange Jelly Opal Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by alynnfin, Feb 23, 2022.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

This looks like a very old setting to me. Although of course they can be reproduced. I bought it under the assumption it is a fire opal but my a gemologist said it was not but a Mexican jelly opal. If it has value more than I paid for it, I will keep it for now, but if not it goes back. I am not familiar with the pricing for the older Victorian and Edwardian jewelry, if it is one of these. On a regular scale for the whole thing, it weighs .2 oz. The listing said the opal weighed 4.82 grams. Size 6. Thank you in advance. 116211479_1_x.jpg.jpeg 116211479_3_x.jpg.jpeg 116211479_4_x.jpg.jpeg IMG_1285.jpeg

KSW, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

To me it looks artisan made, but I don't see any wear patterns that would suggest it was particularly old.

KSW likes this.
  3. alynnfin

Oh that hurts. The inside of the band, I assumed, was worn so that the 18 kt mark is now gone. It tests 18 kt but doesn't say it. Well, at least I can return it.

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What size is it,looks like it was sized up 2 times.Prongs appear to have been retipped also.

kyratango likes this.
  5. alynnfin

Thank you. I'm sending it back! It is a size 6.

6. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted