Age/origin of wheel-engraved and silver rim bowl?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Jun 9, 2023.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found it for a whopping $3, saw the 835 silver mark (with a CW after it?) and nabbed it in a charity shop. The metal has a floral pattern and the thin glass looks hand-etched with a wheel. Maybe even freehand. I can't see a real country mark on the silver but I'm thinking Germany. My sister and BiL's 25th was this week, so they're getting it whether they want it or not. Tried to get a better picture of the engraving but it wouldn't cooperate no matter what.

DSCF9468 (1).JPG DSCF9466.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. evelyb30

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Figtree3, bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. evelyb30

That's him! I was off on the age, but not the origin. I could have found that I guess, if I'd been sure of where to look.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I hope they like it!

6. evelyb30

Never heard, but real silver usually doesn't go amiss!

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if you ever get negative comments regarding your antique/vintage gifts. My immediate family is often difficult in this way. They think "used up" rather than vintage, charming, or could never afford such nice things if new. I gave my brother a very nice mantel clock which he loves and he was surprised it was vintage 80s (it was in like new condition). He didn't know what to think about that. I felt like shouting "Yes, see, you can't buy a clock that nice today!" (at least not for the $5 I paid for it, LOL!) That clock has withstood a lot of layers of dust and still works great, which is exactly what I had in mind.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Not particularly. I do try to only give older items to people who will appreciate them.
    My one cousin collects WWI items. Sent him a messed-up book published by Collier's or another UK outfit in 1915, before things really got started. A lot of the leaders pictured weren't involved or important figures from the USA end by the time we got into it. My cousin Tom and his Father in-law spent an entire afternoon poring over the thing. My pastor is also into history, but his wife would have had it out in their next yard sale!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted