Age & Origin of Pair Carved Angel lamps?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by trip98, Oct 27, 2014.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

angelamp1.jpg angelamp2.jpg angelamp3.jpg angelamp4.jpg Any comments welcome. This wood with partial gilt putti/cherub figures have been repurposed as lamps with added perch for them to sit. Wondering about age and origin. My thought... Italy ...1900-1950s somewhere. According to previous owner they were purchased as lamps in 1970s seventies from celebrities estate in Beverly Hills, CA.

2. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

I don't know Trip but those are neat, like them just as they are!

3. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Thanks, they are very big and heavy. Angels alone are 17". I like them too, but they are for resale.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Trip,
    The biscotts were wonderful, thank you. I really wonder if your angels were part of a church altar/shrine and repurposed as lamps. I remember being in Brooklyn where a church was decommissoned and a huge shrine was cut up into pieces to make it easier to move and sell. I remember that it was St Francis and all the little animals and birds were cut off and sold.
    greg

5. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

These are really fabulous! Do you know which celebrities owned the lamps? It could establish provenance and possibly help with IDing them? If you can get any other information I might send photos to an auction house. If they are older than early 20th century they might be more valuable than you think.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Is is possible they are plaster? It's hard to compare them as they as at slightly different angles but they almost look too similar as if molded, maybe?

7. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Good Morning from S. Cal. Thanks for the replies and questions.

I looked in my notes. According to 90 year seller, the actor is Brian Aherne. Before my time, I had to look him up. Apparently, for prolific career.

They are wood for sure, but they are very similar and looking the same direction. I think if they were orig made as lamps they would be looking in the opposite direction.

Could be from church altar.

8. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Update, small, blurry, hand written sticker on the base. "from Italian or French church...unreadble then Brian Aherne estate. Lol so not much more than you all have surmised.

Draft saved Draft deleted