Featured Age on gilded bronze mesh powder compact & pill box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Peter Jacobs, Jul 19, 2024.

1. Peter Jacobs

Peter Jacobs New Member

Hi all, wondering if anyone has information regarding my gilded bronze mesh compact and pill box with enamel decoration. French? Late 19th c.? There are no markings. Both have Victorian style hand decorations, the compact with an unusual swivel mounted hand like a door knocker. The compact measures 2.5" across and has traces of the original gilding over the bronze. The pill box (?) measures 1-7/8" L x 1-3/8" H x 3/8 D. Appreciate your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I believe the compact's bottom is fish scale mesh which was invented by Whiting & Davis at the end of the 19th century. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Debora

Marote and Peter Jacobs like this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Peter Jacobs & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

The use of hands on the pieces also indicates 19th-century Victorian items.

https://whitinganddaviscollection.com/history/

4. Peter Jacobs

Peter Jacobs New Member

Does feel late 19th c. Apparently there were a number of fish scale mesh bag makers making these by hand at the end of the 1800's and it was very labor intensive. I found a patent date for W&D's automated fish scale maker from 1927/1928...

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They both look late nineteenth. The engraving on the box is absolutely typical.

bercrystal likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Late 19th and charming.:)

bercrystal likes this.
  7. nastina.nastea

nastina.nastea Well-Known Member

What a charming pieces:joyful:

Draft saved Draft deleted