Age of secretary desk/bureau please?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Divna9, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Divna9

Divna9 New Member

Hi

I am hoping some can tell me a little about my desk, approx age/ era etc. I know nothing about it. I hope pics will be enough for someone experienced.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like an American Empire desk. Do not know with your two photos if circa 1850 or circa 1910. Need more photos.
    greg

3. Divna9

Divna9 New Member

Here is another pic showing the drawer too if that helps?

Attached Files:

4. Divna9

Divna9 New Member

I'm not sure if the extra pic will help at all. Are these very common? I've been searching for one similar and cannot find any

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Look under " golden oak drop front desk " . They are fairly common . Now that statue on top of it looks interesting ...

cxgirl and Divna9 like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a later empire revival piece circa 1910.

afantiques likes this.
  7. Divna9

Divna9 New Member

Thank you. I had wanted a desk like this for some time do you think I overpaid at $200? I know it's "simple" in design, which is exactly what I wanted. I actually didn't think it was as old as that originally.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I look at it this way.
    If you walked into a furniture store today with $200. You would not be able to buy a solid wood desk. You would get a stapled together piece of particle board, with wood front. And you would probably have to pay a lot more than $200.

So if you liked it and it was within your budget, you did just fine.
    Will you get your money back at a later date? Possibly.

cxgirl, Bakersgma, Divna9 and 2 others like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The age is a bonus! Very sweet.

Divna9 likes this.
  10. verybrad

I think $200 is top retail here in medium sized town Midwest. It might be considered a better price in a large city or other areas. As something you wanted for yourself and had trouble finding, it is worth every penny.

Divna9 and komokwa like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I agree. I had a friend who was looking for an antique walnut table and we found one on Craigslist. If we had another 5 years to look we might have been able to do better on price, but it was what I would call "retail" as well, and she's been looking for years, it fit with what she wanted, so we got it. I agree with Brad, worth every penny.

Divna9 likes this.
  12. Divna9

Divna9 New Member

This is also stamped on the back if anyone knows of them?

N.F.Co., LTD

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  13. Divna9

Divna9 New Member

I have still not been able to find anything on the company stamped on the furniture. Do you happen to have heard of them before? It looks like it also had a paper label at one time but that has long been lost:(
    N.F.Co., Ltd is what is on the back of it.

Thanks in advance for any info you have.

14. verybrad

While the name of the maker would be nice to know, it really doesn't matter who made this. There were hundreds (thousands?) of manufacturers making similar furniture and most have been lost to history.

Draft saved Draft deleted