Featured Age of bracket clasp on gold and emerald earrings?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea of the period of these 14k gold and emerald earrings? I can't find these hinged bracket clasps in any of my earring files. 1890-1910?
    Thanks for looking.
    c157b337-f1d5-46e6-9008-19cbe6d3c4d4.jpg 9de236f0-3a93-40d4-8e16-2a0cb9b6c8a8.jpg DSC07269 (640x450).jpg

jakatch, Dawn W, quirkygirl and 3 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That diamond cut isn't late 19th or early 20th. I've seen clasp style that on Indian, and from memory, Middle Eastern earrings.

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Hi Any Jewelry! I'll be following your thread for more info as I, too, have earrings with a similar catch that I asked about over a year ago. The only examples of this little hinged triangular catch that I have seen examples of were purportedly from Russia ... Like some shown here
    http://www.ebay.com.au/cln/greg_bunny/russian-rose-gold-earrings/73061943018

Other members of the forum had seen them used on earrings from Egypt and Turkey. I hope you have better luck than I did on finding a definitive age (or origin) - yours have no marks either?

Here's the thread: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/older-earrings-with-interesting-safely-catch.8064/

Here's the earring's catch:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Any Jewelry, komokwa and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Thanks! Interesting! In that case I should add the mystery gold mark as well, I haven't found that one either:
    DSC07273.JPG
    If they are Russian, which seems to be very likely, these must be pre-Soviet, because the Soviets had a very good and extensive marking system, which included the hammer and sickle.

quirkygirl likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

The clear stones are tiny, but look like old European cut, which is an old cut, very popular ca 1900. They are not diamonds, possibly glass. The emeralds are real.
    Old European cut:
    [​IMG]

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The photos are not in focus and reflections,but the small stones look like standard round brilliant cut with large tables and not European cut.

8. Any Jewelry

9. Any Jewelry

I have been trying to see it through a loupe, could be brilliant cut, which, though classified by Tolowski in 1919, was developed in the 19th century.
    But to avoid confusion, they are probably glass.

10. Any Jewelry

I am 99.9% sure yours and mine are Russian. Have been googling like mad:D, and yes, all triangular brackets I find are Russian.

By the way, do these stones look like yours? They are described as untreated aquamarines:
    http://www.adin.be/fr/2ndpage.asp?dtn=12103-0048&ArtMU=GBP

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. USSR ones I used to own: hinge, yes, but no bracket.

Not convinced these are either Russian or early. 6a. mark on earrings.jpg 6. Pair Russian rose gold earrings 18ct set pearls & turquoise USSR hallmark.jpg

12. Any Jewelry

13. Any Jewelry

Have also been googling Egyptian and Turkish earrings, no triangular brackets at all so far.
    Since there is an overwhelming amount of Russian triangular brackets, I think they are Russian rather than Egyptian or Turkish. If the Caucasus uses triangular brackets, Caucasian parts of Turkey could possibly have them as well, but I haven't found Caucasus earrings with triangular brackets either.

14. quirkygirl

I had settled into thinking that mine had a Russian connection somehow (either from Russia, or made by a jeweler who was Russian, or taught by one who was .... etc...), since all the examples that I could find had Russian attributions. Certainly these triangular findings could be used elsewhere ... I just haven't found any examples yet.

The stones are a color that could be aquamarine ... my jeweler was rearranging his shop and couldn't quickly put his hands on his refractometer which would have helped to ID them, but he suspected glass.

15. Any Jewelry

Nothing on Indian and Middle Eastern earrings with triangular brackets either. Couldn't remember it anyway, in spite of a lifelong experience with Middle Eastern jewellery.
    I'm staying with Russian, age unknown, but not recent, since the emeralds are not paired. No Soviet marks, no recent Russian marks either, but a mark that could be similar to one on a late 19th century bracelet.

16. Any Jewelry

I found a Russia forum, and registered. Thought they could tell me more about the earrings.
    Quirkygirl, would you like me to ask about your earrings as well? My membership hasn't been approved yet, don't know if they will of course:nailbiting:.
    But then again, to quote the great Groucho Marx:
    "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member."

Bakersgma, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  17. quirkygirl

How lovely and generous of you to offer! Why, yes ... I'd appreciate if you would ... but only if doing so wouldn't take away from finding any information on your earrings. Thanks for asking! :)

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, I'll let you know. I get the impression it is pretty much a one man show, but very knowledgeable.
    I found info on a Finnish gold site that leads me to believe the mark on my earrings is pre-1896. Finland was Russian at the time.
    After some more searching I found the Russia forum, which deals mainly with questions about items from the Tsarist period. I thought, why not give it a try, if it is more recent, they will tell me.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  19. Any Jewelry

Just a question, that little mark in the crook of the hook on the earring on the left, could that be a gold mark or is it just a nick?

[​IMG]

20. quirkygirl

I'm thinking it's just a tool mark or nick in the gold ... looking at it again through a loupe, and if it's a mark, it's mostly worn. My better loupe is down in the car and I'll take another look when I get back from errands. There is no flattened area one would associate with a stamped mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted