Featured Age of Amethyst & Pearl brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Mar 7, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I found this in a charity shop today. Although the pin isn’t gold I’ve had some good advice in here to look further than the pin and from a brief assessment it looked promising enough for a £1.99 outlay!
    All but the pin tests as at least 9kt. I have only used a touchstone as I refuse to touch it with a file but there is no sign of plate loss anywhere. No hallmark I can see. To my uneducated eye the front looks older than the back but it all looks original bar missing a gold safety chain.
    Mary Contrary gem tester is (for once) very confident this is Amethyst ( one I could have worked out for myself :hilarious::rolleyes:)
    The pearls are slightly more difficult to assess. One is missing and the one beside the gap has lost it’s coating but I suspect it’s a replacement as all the others really look like real pearls under magnification- slightly irregular surface and good lustre. The possibly replacement one is completely smooth.
    If 9ct gold was used , is it more likely the originals are real pearls rather than glass?.
    Love to hear your thoughts on the age of this brooch - and ideas as to where I find split pearls that would blend in!
    Thanks for looking. :)
    D459461A-B9F6-45A0-95FF-0F436293C0BF.jpeg 5E07FA8A-3885-45DC-A9D1-3E0B10A74BC0.jpeg 3D3BC2C9-8922-450B-82EC-B9BA6678215D.jpeg 2073B3CD-86B1-404F-BE67-4A231179E526.jpeg 5F7BCF0D-A8C6-4BC1-9EE5-4CE339C33DF3.jpeg 42780DB8-65BF-4540-AF22-689E2AEBA99F.jpeg 8721D60D-3DAD-4EB6-88CF-DA14198B26C5.jpeg E696B6DB-015C-423C-A3B8-07941B2CBE49.jpeg 9992C425-DDBB-4521-8D2F-D9454346F0D8.jpeg 2DEC741B-AA68-4674-9C55-BDF9AABA19E2.jpeg

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Have you done the gritty tooth test on the other little split pearls KSW?
    I agree about the faux replacement. Nice little brooch for £1.99.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve tried but they are tiny and my mouth is too big!!. I trust everyone not to make comments on that statement :hilarious:

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I would just rub one little pearl on the surface of a front tooth, they are slightly raised above the gold setting, you can soon tell if there’s a bit of friction or if it slides over like glass or plastic. Give it a go!!
    It does look as if it’s good for gold and real pearls to me.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Tried and pretty sure they are real.

judy and kyratango like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

A lovely little 1880s sweet heart for your investment!:)
    My :cyclops: says genuine half pearls, except for the obvious replacement one:joyful:
    Those little pearls have to be salvaged from broken antique pieces... Like mourning lace pins with hair under glass and names incribed, very likely to be found for cheap where you hunt:rolleyes:;)
    No comment about your :D statement...:hilarious:

Any Jewelry, judy and KSW like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Late 19th. Lovely.

judy, KSW and kyratango like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Kyra!. So chuffed I'm learning to spot the good stuff thanks to you all sharing your knowledge.
    I'll now be on the look out for broken pearl jewellery. I agree new ones are going to be too obvious.
    Haha, you know me too well.

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :)

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@kyratango can you tell me out of interest what sort of pearls were available in c1880?
    Presumably cultured hadn't appeared yet?, Just saltwater or freshwater too?

judy likes this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Of course, natural pearls then! Both saltwater and river pearls! From the luster, usually, these tiny half pearls seems to be saltwater:cyclops::)

Any Jewelry, judy and KSW like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou so much :)
    Just water and cotton bud to clean?

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Not to highjack this thread but a lady I’m buying some stuff from has a nice mourning brooch with hair (no pearls) in it, name and date on back. The date is in the 1860s. It’s not marked as far as I know. She says she had it acid tested and that it turned out to be 18k. How likely is it a piece like this from that era, made with gold, would be unmarked? That surprised me but maybe it shouldn’t have?

kyratango and judy like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm not sure but I believe many pieces from the 19thC weren't marked. Hopefully @kyratango can answer that. I was worried a previous piece I posted wasn't hallmarked and @Any Jewelry said it wasn't unusual. Not sure what date it became compulsory?. Off to google.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  15. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

[​IMG]The bottom 'pearl' doesn't look real, the paint has peeled off I think. 1880's yes...

kyratango, KSW and judy like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, it doesn't match the others. A later replacement possibly the two got knocked out together and someone replaced with faux. The rest look real.

judy likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's more common for Georgian and mid Victorian gold NOT to be marked than to be marked.

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a sweetheart of a sweetheart, K. I'm with the others on everything.:happy:
    She did and she was right.:joyful::hilarious::hilarious:
    It depends on the country of origin though, just about all Dutch gold of the period is marked.
    @J Dagger is in the US, where marking was a bit sketchy anyway. Not that the mourning brooch he mentioned is necessarily American made.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  19. J Dagger

Ah ok good!

kyratango, Ownedbybear and KSW like this.
  20. J Dagger

I’m certainly not sure but my guess is that it is an American piece. The family it is in goes back many generations here. Thanks

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted