Featured Age of a draw knife

Discussion in 'Tools' started by prestoncohunter, Aug 6, 2019.

1. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

No idea how to figure out the age. No sign of a makers mark, etc. Just has the look and feel that says old but don't really know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The handles pivot to change the angle of the blade.

Jivvy, i need help and Michael77 like this.
  2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Nice! It will be hard to tell without markings. Maybe there are some experts out there. These aren't as common today unless your an old school woodworker.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Jivvy and i need help like this.
  3. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

True @Michael77 about not real common anymore but they are really handy depending on the project. It for sure has quality steel in it, still has a good sharp blade even though it has a small chip on the end of the blade on one side.

It and a small one and several spoke shaves were in the same box of tools at my inlaws.

i need help and Michael77 like this.
  4. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed I wish I had one, for me it would have limited use. I do see them on Craig's list now and then for around 50 bucks, I'd have to say yours is nicer with adjustable blade pitch. I would guess yours is 1930-50's.

i need help and prestoncohunter like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This one looks like yours. Old Jim says this is a Nobles patented draw knife.

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

There's one on Ebay - Here's what was written in the description:

"Antique NOBLES MFG CO 8" Adjustable Drawing Knife Wood Shaving Plane 1857 patent"

"1857 patent granted to Richard Watrous of Ohio (# 18,877). Handle shoulder is notched and engages corresponding notches on the blade tang and secured by a screw thumb nut. Nobles Mfg Co was located in Elmira, NY. Nobles ran the place from 1857 - 1876, producing bits, braces, and draw knives. C.E. Jennings took over by 1902 and kept producing tools under this name. The removeable blade makes for easier sharpening."

Draft saved Draft deleted