African Statues

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Calum Coutts, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Hey,

Id love you guys help with some recent auction purchased. They were part of a job lot and came with no info.

The first one looks from the Congo, second one i have no idea and third one Lobi.

Thanks a lot in advance!

rsz_img_20200929_170024.jpg rsz_img_20200929_165658.jpg rsz_img_20200929_165843.jpg rsz_1img_20200929_165859.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Can you please post side and back views of the first and second sculpture?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Thanks for taking a look 2manybooks

rsz_img_20200929_165738.jpg rsz_img_20200929_165733.jpg rsz_1img_20200929_170040.jpg rsz_img_20200929_170042.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

I believe your maternity figure is Chokwe (Tchokwe), from Angola. She has the characteristic slit eyes, in large recessed orbits, of many Chokwe masks and figures. You can see the same hairstyle and stool in the Chokwe figure offered at this gallery:
    http://www.theshamanslodge.com/african-art-gallery/chokwe-maternity-figure

Here is another comparison that shows the typical style of face:
    http://ancientpoint.com/inf/191531-beauty_chokwe_lwena_maternity_figure.html

I am still working to confirm the identity of your other two.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. 2manybooks

Sorry. I cannot attribute the first and third figures to any particular group. I don't recognize enough traditional features in either of them.

Christmasjoy and Taupou like this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree. They seem to be items carved for the souvenir/tourist trade, and do not represent any particular tribal culture or traditional style. Just a
    general feeling of what might strike someone unfamiliar with African art as being "African," and which might, therefore, attract a buyer.

The first carving appears to show neck rings (which only married Ndebele women wear) although the rest of the carving doesn't look anything like a Ndebele woman. But neck rings are somehow associated with Africa, even though it's primarily an Asian custom.

7. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Thank you both so much for your help

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Can anybody explain the holes on the first statue?

Thanks

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

I would imagine the holes would be used to secure decorative materials such as a "grass" skirt (probably of raffia), or tufts of similar material. The same for a potential beard.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

Thanks again! that makes sense.

Having done some more searching, ive seen similar looking statues attributed to the Luluwa.

11. 2manybooks

I did see some similarities to Lulua/Luluwa pieces - the neck rings, the scarification, the carved cache-sexe. But the head shape is atypical, and they more often have some form of topknot and some indication of a headress or hairstyle. The platform shoulders are somewhat odd, as well. Most Lulua pieces I have seen are free standing on their two feet, rather than having an integral platform. Your piece has some of the features, but not the overall impression of a Lulua carving. If I am correct about the possibility of the raffia attachments, that would also point to more of a pastiche tourist piece - dressing it up makes it look more "African".

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and Taupou like this.
  12. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Plus, the possibility that the two unidentified figures are not even African, hasn't even been mentioned. Indonesian "copies" of African-looking carvings have been on the market for years...often with raffia attachments.

13. Calum Coutts

Calum Coutts Member

I see what you mean 2manybooks. Thanks again for the help

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted