Featured African(?) painting of rhinos on a fabric stretched over board/wood?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 5, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my local thrift store today - the colors caught my eye from a top shelf it was sitting on - and for $7.99 I had to get it!

It's on some kind of fabric? that's layed on a board; I know there's a name for this type of art but I can't recall it. Is it African?

Has anyone heard of the artist? (is that Australia next to the signature?)

Thank you for any information.

ART PAINTING RHINO 1BAA.jpg ART PAINTING RHINO 1BAAB.jpg ART PAINTING RHINO 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING RHINO 8AA.jpg ART PAINTING RHINO 8CAA.jpg

Figtree3, wlwhittier and ulilwitch like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Australia? You mean the shape? Check a map.

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

So I'm guessing it's not! Sorry I just noticed it as I was posting pics here & it popped into my head, so I asked - I'll google it though! :)

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Waligo is a surname from Uganda.The Rhino was an indigenous species of Uganda,but were wiped out by 1983 and now only survive at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary.Possibly a souvenir that someone bought while visiting Uganda?

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The shape of Australia is easy to remember, it is a terrier head facing left, with Tasmania as a dog tag.
    (I hereby sincerely apologize to beautiful Tazzy and its friendly people.:sorry:)

Aus.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted