African, or Norse?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Jun 22, 2017.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

This mystery object came from an estate sale. It's said to be antique, and belonged to a family that spent a lot of time in Africa. Assuming it came from Africa, my first thought was that it was an amulet from the Maasai tribe, usually worn by a cow, to ward off "inkonyek" (their version of "the evil eye"). What's bothering me, though, is the symbols carved into it. The birds foot-looking symbol on one side looks like the Norse rune Elhaz (a.k.a. Algiz, or Eolh) representing the elk, and was used on amulets for protection, and to ward off danger. The other side appears to have a sun symbol, another rather Norse thing. So, is this in fact an amulet and, if so, is it Norse, or African? Or, is it something else entirely? Please let me know, if you have any thoughts about this. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AntiqueAndy likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Nordic rune/fantasy piece made with reindeer antler.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was thinking along the same lines. Definitely NOT African at any rate.

4. David Askett

So, not antique, either?

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's not a Stanhope is it? Can you look through the little hole in the sun and see a picture?

6. David Askett

I don't think so. There's something that looks like a spider web pattern, that is just visible in the second photo, but nothing I'd call a picture.

Strange that the interior is filled with a very hard, clear, pink substance. Some sort of resin? I can't think of a horn, tooth or tusk that's naturally pink inside like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted