African or Native American? beaded sceptre

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by David Jonas, Mar 3, 2020.

1. David Jonas

David Jonas New Member

I purchased this from a friend who likes shopping at yard sales. This beaded sceptre or club type object was purchased with an African looking shield, but nobody was sure if they belonged together or no. I can see the beads look very old as the shapes are quite irregular. This was clearly in a smoker's home at one time making the beads quite dirty. Any help identifying what this is would be greatly appreciated. I want to hang this in my office along with the shield as decorations, but these are not the typical items I collect. IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4979.JPG IMG_4982.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i doubt those beads are dirty from tobacco.....
    looks like an african head scratcher ....

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree with African, but can't be more specific and not sure what it is. Can we see the shield? It might help point to a particular region.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Same here, African (based on the wood, and the woven backing under the beads), but unable to determine specific tribe or area. Would like to see the shield, but as you mentioned, they may not really be related.

5. komokwa

Sorry .....just goofin around !!!!!

It's a beaded African Fly Whisk handle....... mid 1900's....likely a bit earlier...

upload_2020-3-3_22-54-6.jpeg upload_2020-3-3_22-56-17.jpeg

6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, too, but my second thought was that it might be a little long for a fly whisk, so I didn't say anything.

But it isn't a scepter, or dance stick, as far as I can tell. And it's rather strange that there isn't a shred left of the whisk itself (that I can see) to give a clue.

7. komokwa

some are very long....

upload_2020-3-3_23-19-13.jpeg

and many have had the hair taken off...after being collected...

upload_2020-3-3_23-20-49.jpeg upload_2020-3-3_23-21-12.jpeg upload_2020-3-3_23-22-15.jpeg upload_2020-3-3_23-22-46.jpeg

BUT................. since I wasn't there when it was collected.....it couls also be for cattle....
    BUT.....the beadwork would suggest a less rigorous purpose..... IMO....

upload_2020-3-3_23-32-38.jpeg

kyratango, 2manybooks and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted