African or Native American, Basket is old but ?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jana Pace, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Jana Pace

Jana Pace Member

HI, have a basket that I picked up about 20 years ago. The woman I purchased it from was elderly and could not remember where she had gotten it. I am thinking it is African, mostly because of the rim work, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. old basket.jpeg basket.jpg old basket6.jpg

Potteryplease likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jana. The member to ask is @komokwa

komokwa, aaroncab and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Jana Pace

Jana Pace Member

ok how do I do that? please

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I 'tagged' him for you. Next time he comes on to the site he'll see he's needed. He tends to be a night owl. People here are all over the globe, so allow some time for an answer.

5. Jana Pace

Jana Pace Member

thank you! Appreciate it!

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. Jana Pace

Jana Pace Member

thank you also!!

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is a well made basket. My guess is that it is from southern Africa, but I am not sure. The spaced, overcast stitching is used in baskets from that region,and the start at the center of the base sometimes occurs there. The stitching fiber looks like a consistent material, dyed for the dark design rather than using a different material for the color.

Coiled baskets are so widely made that it can be difficult to place them unless you can positively identify the materials used. Taupou and Komokwa may be able to tell you more.

9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The definitive key to identifying any basket is determining the material that it is made from, which is often difficult, takes hands-on experience, and is difficult to learn just from photos. But everything else (form, technique, design, etc.) can be copied by any competent basket maker, anywhere.

The rather dull finish is important here, because it identifies this as being made from palm fiber, which differs from the materials that a similar Native American basket would be made from. So that, along with the different stitch used to join the top coils, and the way it is started, mean that it is African, most likely Zulu or a neighboring tribe, from South Africa.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nothing I can add but , nice basket !!

2manybooks and Bronwen like this.
  11. Jana Pace

Jana Pace Member

Thank you for your replies. I really felt it was African. It is a solid piece with weight. It is a nice basket, but does have some staining in the bottom.. I believe as I recall the woman I purchased it from said she had a plant in it at one time...EEK! lol. Ill try to figure out a value, downsizing lots of items, and this one just wasn't sure about. Many thanks for all your help!

Bronwen and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted