Featured African 'fertility' figure: seeking details/leads

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Dawnno, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Don't know enough about African tribal art except that attributions can be 'tricky' without provenance, and I don't have any for this piece. I can't place the region or date with any accuracy from my research. Pictures hopefully will tell the story and you can provide some of the rest.

The 'dress' is wrapped twine with a waxy or perhaps 'tarred' appearance and feel. The beads have a look of having been 'dipped' in a dye or stain along with the rest of it, which is wearing off the beads. One hair bead is cracked down the middle and the appearance and weight and feel like plastic, not glass. The 'dress top' beads appear have a white body with blue or red thin stripe across them.

Tourist piece? As most might be… or something more ‘tribal’?
    2019-01-03_08-02-55-PM.jpg 2019-01-03_08-03-57-PM.jpg 2019-01-03_08-03-34-PM.jpg 2019-04-29_06-07-58-PM.jpg 2019-04-29_06-10-17-PM.jpg 2019-04-29_06-10-49-PM.jpg 2019-04-29_06-11-08-PM.jpg 2019-04-29_06-12-17-PM.jpg 2019-04-29_06-12-46-PM.jpg 2019-01-03_08-03-05-PM.jpg

judy, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

@Taupou your comment would be appreciated

judy likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

One piece of advice for searching. Call it a fertility doll. We had one not too long ago. Cameroon has some armless ones, but others know more than I.

Figtree3, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

ha. Cameroon was my best guess coincidentally. Thx

Namji doll? Falli Ritual doll? So confusing; so much to learn...
    upload_2019-4-29_21-32-15.png upload_2019-4-29_21-34-43.png

Calgon, take me away.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

I find these dolls difficult to distinguish between areas, so I will wait for other replies. :)

judy likes this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I'd say it's probably Turkana, from Kenya, based on the type of wood carving, the hair treatment, stacked bead necklaces, use of red ochre, and the little white bead eyes.

Figtree3, judy, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  7. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

thanks Taupou for the lead. much appreciated; will investigate to add to the knowledge pool.

judy and i need help like this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I should have added to beware of using google to try to identify something like this. You're going to come up with some very erroneous identifications, as well as some accurate ones, which only serves to make it far more complicated when it's an area one isn't familiar with.

Figtree3, judy, Jivvy and 4 others like this.
  9. i need help

That is good advice. I have seen many things multi-labeled. Glad we have you to give guidance @Taupou! :)

judy and Dawnno like this.
  10. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

I can definitely see the multiple similarities.
    http://www.nationalcostumedolls.com/kenya-turkana-tribe-ngide-dolls/
    upload_2019-4-30_1-8-56.png " upload_2019-4-30_1-21-10.png
    Ngide' or 'Child' dolls made by the Turkana people in Kenya. This type of doll is carved by the father for a maturing daughter, the Turkana believe that if the girl treats the doll as a real baby she will succesfully bear a child."

I like the way this one was described:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-african-turkana-ngide-kenya-1905187969
    "Most of these dolls come out of Kenya but others may also make them. This one is vintage. It is very difficult to date it accurately. ... The hair is twisted hemp which makes it a doll made for the tourist trade. ... To be a true tribal artifact it would have been made for a child by its parents and the hair would be cut from the the head of the child's mother and used for the doll. Aside from the hair and the wood used (usually a hardwood so it withstands wear) this doll was handmade using the same techniques the tribal maker would have used to make an identical one for their daughter. It no doubt is from Kenya and was probably bought in a remote village in Kenya. It simply is too crude to be a commercially made doll.
    ...Often mistaken as a fertility doll, this Ngide (child) doll may be an ikideet doll. Ikideet dolls are often carved by fathers and then decorated by the mothers using the daughter's own beads and skirt. They are then gifted to their daughters."

As I was looking further, I came across this as well, which matches other multiple features:
    upload_2019-4-30_1-31-45.png
    https://issuu.com/danielpiperno/docs/liste_dolls
    The use of the twine and beads over the upper body and the twine over the lower part is also compelling. Nyamwezi of Tanzania also use the bead eyes.
    "Nyamwezi carvers are famous for their figures, which are usually carved out from a heavy wood with a shiny surface. They tend to have elongated features with the eyes inset with circular white beads. Such elongated figures with distorted limbs were used in water divination ceremonies."

Shows just how difficult to know anything with reasonable certainty is. And to know what information to trust since it all bleeds over from one area to another.

Thanks to all for the leads on this journey

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted