Featured African chair. Anyone familiar with these?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lucille.b, Dec 25, 2023.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Purchased two things way out of my wheelhouse, but they were just $10 each at a retirement home sale and figured they would have to be some resale $ in them. (For other item, likely from the same former owner, see under "textiles".)

Google images calls this an "African side chair." I was thinking of trying on Craigslist for $60... I see some ASKING a lot more, but couldn't find one sold on Ebay.

I believe it has genuine age and use. Also although the bottom of the feet look so uneven, it actually sits solidly. Thoughts?

c3.jpg

c3b.jpg

c8.jpg

c6.jpg

Boland, wlwhittier, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you!

I'm thinking of making a quick sale. I can't find one sold online, so thinking these are not the latest collectible maybe. Going to do a bit more research though. Thanks for the help.

5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’ve found that African things aren’t very quick sellers. Good African things, with some legitimate age, that are priced fairly will eventually sell in most cases but unless they are priced ultra competitively they take time in my experience. I’d imagine Craigslist might not have many people looking for African things but you never know until you try. Africa is good at making things that look older than they are. I think it’s relatively rare to find things in America from Africa that are much older than the 60’s or 70’s. The chair doesn’t look older than that to me but that’s a take it with a grain of salt opinion. African stools sell better than a lot of other African stuff. Some of them can look surprisingly good and at home in homes with modern decors. On eBay I’d expect the average better quality African stool to sell between 100-200. I’ve never seen one like yours sell. I’ve never seen one like yours at all for that matter. Maybe it’s particularly rare and would do better. Worth trying an ebay auction if you don’t mind shipping it. Neat thing.

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think the link komo provided pretty much says it all.

I agree with Dagger that African objects are not hot sellers, which is one of the reasons I have been able to afford to collect some of it. :)

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Same as far as affording good examples. The stuff gets ignored at auction mostly once the prices go over a penny or two on the dollar of what it “should” be worth vs. much of other tribal/primitive art. There was an eBay seller I bought stuff off of weekly for probably between a year and two years. He was liquidating his grandfathers inventory and collection. Grandfather had owned a gallery/store in Manhattan and been a prolific collector. I felt bad about the prices I was paying for nice older African things. Nearly every week I’d buy at least a handful of things from him and the African stuff I’d often get for under $10 per item. Legitimately early 20th century stuff in most instances, some possibly older. The guy had stuff from all over the world, from antique to ancient, all of it worth having. I was sad when he finally got to the end of the stuff. I still sell bits of it here and there and it forms a decent little chunk of my collection, including some of my favorite objects. It’s a nice surprise when every 4-6 months or so one of the African things I have listed gets a Cha Ching

komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted