Advice on this little Chinese jewel please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by shamster, Oct 2, 2024 at 1:31 PM.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

I found this on the Chinese ebay. Seller says Qing dynasty gilt silver. I have zero experience with antique Chinese jewelry but found it very lovely, and it’s not expensive (less than 60 pounds). Do you think this is a legit antique? IMG_6998.jpeg IMG_7001.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I wonder why they think it’s Chinese. It looks British or European even to my eye.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The Qing dynasty (1644–1912) was a Manchu-led imperial Chinese dynasty and the last imperial dynasty of China. It was officially proclaimed in 1636 in Shenyang in what is now Northeast China, but only captured Beijing and succeeded the Ming dynasty in China proper in 1644. The Qing dynasty collapsed when the imperial clan (surnamed Aisin Gioro) abdicated in February 1912, a few months after a military uprising had started the Xinhai Revolution that led to the foundation of the Republic of China.

big difference between the brooch being 1657.....or 1907......... lotta room in-between..!!

I'm no joulie but those pearls look terrible, and they are drilled and held by wires...
    I've never seen that here....
    and ..is it a brooch...pendant....shoe buckle...?????

Chinese eblech... not a place I would shop for anything........ cuz if it was anything good..... I figure the locals would be on it straight away...

imho...

4. shamster

Because it’s in a traditional pattern and it’s sourced in China, the origin should be fine

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, I do, and it is Chinese. Charming, but it has a lot of issues.

6. shamster

I figured most stuff tagged Qing dynasty is 19th century and later. There are plenty of similar inexpensive stuff. As I said, not expensive but still wish for a real deal!

as for the pearl guess it’s common for these low grade jewelry. I found it cute tho, as someone attracted to ancient jewelry. And it’s probably a part of a proper piece? It cannot be worn directly without adding extra components

I am local btw. I don’t buy antique from that site often for the same concern!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. shamster

What’s your concerns on it? Do you mean the wearability or the quality of sapphire and pearls?

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The quality of the pearls and most of all the missing stones.
    Are you sure the blue stone is a sapphire?

komokwa likes this.
  9. komokwa

I keep forgetting you're in china ! :sorry::sorry::sorry:
    Where abouts..?

10. shamster

Maybe there’s no missing stones, as I don’t see holes drilled on the back of the smaller rounds. The seller says it’s a sapphire, which is common for these low quality sapphires and spinels to be set on old jewelry. But after all, sapphire is easily testable so if isn’t, I can ask for a refund ;)

11. shamster

In the southeast ;)

komokwa likes this.
  12. shamster

B
    But again, I don’t know what these are usually sold for, so you might be right if it’s expensive for what it is. By inexpensive I mean it’s a cutie that I can afford &accept:D

13. komokwa

so...buying a pig in a poke...... I say save yer cash for something more substantial....... that really gets you all hot and bothered !!!:happy::happy::playful::playful::playful:

imho........

shamster likes this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Sometimes I buy things with the idea that even if it's newer than I thought, I still enjoy it's look so it won't matter. If it speaks to you, and the price is reasonable for you even if it's not antique, then you should do it.

komokwa and shamster like this.
  15. shamster

I have to say that’s absolutely right. After paying 500 pounds for a vintage brooch thinking it’s Georgian, this little jewel doesn’t count as a gamble at all.:shame: And it’s indeed much prettier than other pieces, both antique &modern replica.

mirana and komokwa like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’m fascinated now. I’ve seen hallmarked British brooches which looked very like. We obviously copied.

mirana likes this.
  17. shamster

it’s not a complicated pattern, so people do come up with similar shapes ;)

Ownedbybear likes this.
  18. shamster

IMG_7007.jpeg
    this is a museum piece and you can also find the dead pearls, so guess that’s forgivable :hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
  19. komokwa

it is when it's put together like that....;):woot::woot::woot::woot:

shamster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted