advice needed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by chris durn, Jan 26, 2016.

1. chris durn

chris durn New Member

Hi this is my first post sorry to jump in like this but thought this might help me, i have a crystal glass flask with a silver top! iv put it on ebay to find its value, have a look and i would be really pleased if you could give me some info as i have searched and cant find another one anywhere not even similar!

Attached Files:

lloyd249 and Jen and George like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Looks like a little scent bottle....very nice.
    We'll need close up of the silver top and any markings on it or the glass.....
    exact size would help too !!!

cxgirl likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Chris! I second Komokwa's requests. Very pretty thing!

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

Isn't it though.., Bakers !!
    It looks so touchable !!!:):)

5. Bakersgma

That it does!

6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

That hinged cap is different. The glass is an overall diamond point not something to carry on your hip. What size is it? I doubt if it is part of a pattern line.

7. chris durn

chris durn New Member

Hi again there is a anchor and i think a lion with a J.H the bottle is about 7 inches tall it really is stunning

Attached Files:

8. Bakersgma

Can you get a picture of the anchor and lion? First thought is Birmingham (England) sterling mark, but it's best to see. No punch with a single letter?

9. chris durn

chris durn New Member

there is also a h i have found the marks and aged between 1867 to 1883 still not seen one like it though ;0(

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

English, indeed, but I need to see the date letter. I think it's for smelling salts. Nice thing, the glass is probably Stourbridge made.

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Smelling salt bottles are usually small.

12. Bakersgma

I think that the maker of the silver is Linegar (whose mark is J.L, not J.H) but whose working dates seem to match the dates Chris gave. The only H in the date letter sequence for Birmingham between 1867 and 1883, is the 1882-3 lower case Gothic h. Is that correct, Chris?

At 7 inches it does seem overlarge for smelling salts or perfume. Does the item stand on its own (I don't see a flat bottom end in the picture, but that might be from the angle.)

trip98 likes this.
  13. chris durn

chris durn New Member

Thank you all for the replys! i havent got a camera good enough to zoom in to get any good pictures of the marks, but mabe thats the next present to myself

14. chris durn

chris durn New Member

hey your back!! it wont stand on its own due to the shape, yes the letter h is small case it also has a cork inside the top

lloyd249 likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ah, I'd missed the size. Huge for salts or a scent, come to that. It must have either had a carrying case, or been in some kind of boxed set. If it's a cork, I think it's neither salts or scent, but rather liquor, missing a leather carrying case.

16. komokwa

See why size is so important !:sorry:

lloyd249 likes this.
  17. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i use a magnifying glass in front of the lens sometimes

18. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i agree, it does looks like a liquor flask

19. komokwa

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]there are others out there......the flip top does seem more likely for booze.

trip98 and lloyd249 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted