Featured Advice - Can This Glass Vase Be Repaired/Should It Be?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Aug 2, 2018.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I've had this really pretty vase for years. I'm fairly sure it's late 19th century Baccarat. 8" tall with a top spread of 6 3/8". As you can see, there are 2 chips on the rim: one is about an inch long and the other deeper one is just over 1/4".

My questions are

Can the chips be repaired? Ordinarily, I wouldn't spend the money for a repair, but this piece may be worth it.

Should I send it off and have it cut/ground down? Is that a better option than repair?

Should I just leave it as is? I have no intention of selling it, but I'm old and know my children will have to deal with all my stuff, so I'd like for them to get the most money if and when they sell.

Thanks for your advice and opinions!

Janice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I really don't know that much about glass, but it IS VERY pretty. I guess the answer would be.....IF YOU really like it then I would go ahead and get an estimate on getting it repaired.....be aware, you will most likely be signing a release that they will not be held responsible should the vase break during the repair process!!!! ME personally, I'd get it fixed or pass it on......but wait to see what the more knowledgeable have to say, for sure!!!!:):)

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Broken glass is broken glass...but the chips are not terrible...so sand them down..a little...and enjoy the lovely vase !!!

IMO

4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Very pretty color - I'd probably do what Komo suggested.

5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Find a professional glass repair person, you won't be happy until it's perfect.

6. komokwa

but I'm old and know my children will have to deal with all my stuff, so I'd like for them to get the most money..................

Update your life insurance.....& start drinking heavily...!! :playful::playful::playful::eek::woot:

7. Aquitaine

About 7 years ago, when I was visiting my brother I happened to see a tumbler in his trash....the top was badly broken, BUT I thought the REST was totally salvagable!!!! THIS is what I saved.....it was terrible to try get a good image of it..... it WAS about a 4.5" or 5" Millifiori Tumbler.....not sure if Sandwich Glass made it or not, but they sure fixed it for me.....although it's now 4" tall....3" across the top and 2.5" across the bottom.....his loss/my gain once I pulled it out of his trash!!!!!!! Still heavy as all get-out too!!! He HAD a second one...... HMMM ....I haven't seen that one lately either.....will have to ask him.....:cool::cool::cool:

zzzMILLI Tumbler 1.jpg zzzMILLI Tumbler 2.jpg

8. komokwa

so worth saving!!!:happy:

9. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

A clever restorer could probably turn the lip into a lightly frilled lip thereby saving the height. Just a thought.:)
    Cheers
    Stephen

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I've emailed a glass repair person, waiting to hear back. If anyone knows of a good restorer, please let me know.

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is so pretty. Love the color.

ascot likes this.
  12. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

13. Aquitaine

Who knew they could repair broken pottery with gold so nicely!!!!!!

14. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

15. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Update: I'm sending it off to be repaired, will probably have to be cut down about 1/4".
    If you noticed the "specks" in the glass in the pictures, it's apparently because the technique is Pate de Riz, which was some sort of powdered glass sprayed into a mold. The technique was invented by the Czechs, I think, and then adopted by the French, particularly Baccarat. My book (Baccarat by Jean-Louis Curtis) calls the glass "pate de riz agate in bleu celeste", shown at the Exposition Nationale in 1849. Most of these examples date 1849-1850.

aaroncab and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted