Advice and help wanted please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bryan, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Bryan

Bryan New Member

Hi All

We have this wooden ball and claw 8 seater table, chairs and sideboard which we would like some opinions on with regards age and description please? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Tina and KingofThings like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I have identical chairs, bought at auction by my parents in the 50s. Yours are in nicer condition, though. ;)

Mid 19th C mahogany. English. The table is probably contemperaneous, but I'd like to see its underneath. It's also a bit small to go with eight chairs, so I think it's a marriage. The table, unless it's got extensions I'm not seeing, looks like a breakfast table.

There's a lot of repro of this stuff around, but yours look pukkah.

The sideboard doesn't match, and I think the fitments are newer than it is itself. Can you get pictures of the inside, especially those drawers?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan New Member

Hi Ownedbybear

Many thanks for your thoughts. I will try and take some photos of the underneath of the table and the drawers.

Any thoughts on value please or is that a taboo subject on the forum.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

It's not taboo, but it tends to be a guesstimate. ;) I'd think the chairs, given the size of the set, would have an auction value of about the £300 to £500 mark? Table maybe the same? I can't decide on the sideboard - they're a bit out of fashion. Having said that, I think it's a really nice useable set of furniture. I infinitely prefer this sort of thing to the modern stuff from DFS or Furnitireland or whoever.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

'pukkah'??????????????

6. Ownedbybear

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hmmmmm.... Not to my 'taste' but now Jewish termites..... :woot::eek::rolleyes:

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Mid 19th century? Surely you mean 20th century?

I was a bit confused by this set and my first thought when confronted with such is that it could be English. Glad to see that ownedbybear has confirmed my thoughts.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Nope. Mid 19th. The chairs might go as late as the 1880's but they're not 20th C copies to my eye. They are, of course, copies, in that the Victorians copied Queen Anne chairs. ;) Pretty common here, but those are in lovely condition.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting. If I had seen this set here, I would peg it 1920s-30s based on outward appearance. Certainly, nothing like this was being made here in the mid 19th century. English furniture always seems to confound me. So much of what I hold to be true about furniture here just does not hold true over there.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

At first glance, all three pieces play nicely together, but they certainly aren't a set. The hardware on the sideboard definitely does not look American. Can't speak to the chairs, as similar ones have been made forever. The table looks relatively new.

I'm glad to see that the pieces don't match! :)

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted