Featured Advertizing card and interesting "Post cards"

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Aquitaine, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Been rummaging again....in an old letter box... the stuff in it is about 1888 up to around WWI....my first question is why would they put the "Ladies" card ads in with Tobacco??? The other 5 cards are 4 1/2" x 3 1/8", look to be hand cut, have the words "Post Card" stamped on the back and a small box for a stamp....they also look trimmed....but not sure about that part.....

So, now they ARE all posting as full images.....they weren't before....

BlackwellsDurhamTobacco1.jpg BlackwellsDurhamTobacco2.jpg PostCrd1.jpg PostCrd2.jpg PostCrd3.jpg PostCrd4.jpg PstCrd5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW! NICE!!! Love them all!!!
    ~
    Well women smoked then too so... Right?

Brenda Anna likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Poem cards are WWI vintage - at least the language and political references make me think that. Same with the last (the one attached but not inserted.) Since all of those verses are attributed to the same author, they're probably all that age, although I don't really "get" the one about Texas.

I would guess that the fashion dolls were something the "father" could give to the children (to justify the purchase of this particular brand?)

4. Aquitaine

Yikes, I suppose!!! And thanks.....This stuff I have to think about selling or selling with the whole letter box.....I just don't see the younger relatives having the interest...........:oops::oops::(:(:(

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Googled E. Fisk and didn't get this guy.

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

8. Aquitaine

9. Aquitaine

@Bakersgma I found the following similar poem by E. Fisk on this link....it's alphabetical....scroll most of the way down the page http://www.cowboysong.com/cards/cardsa1.html doesn't really impress me though!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Thank you Fig!!!
    So it looks like he got 4 of the 5 I have copyrighted...the 5th one he got was "Then I'm coming back to you" which I don't have, but I have instead "A Soldier's Prayer".....All Seem to be for 1917....very cool....now if I can figure out a value!!!! Thank you all for your HELP!!!!!

Bakersgma, Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  11. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

I wonder how many little girls begged their papas to buy Blackwell's...

This is interesting to me, because my parents insisted upon buying cigarettes that had coupons they could collect and trade for stuff. By the time they were doing this, it required thousands of coupons to redeem for anything worth having.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted