Featured Acid test help on older coral set

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Jul 5, 2024 at 12:32 AM.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_5605.jpeg IMG_5606.jpeg IMG_5607.jpeg
    IMG_5608.jpeg
    IMG_5609.jpeg

Hi,
    Before I noticed the mark on the hardware I tested these. I think they are turn of the 20th century. What do you think as far as age? The scratch tests were performed on the case surrounding the coral cameos. They stay forever with 14k. 18k erased but leaves of silver which I think they used in jewelry production of gold pieces Please correct me if I am wrong. Just trying to figure out if they major part could really be 14k or solid with GF hardware

What say ye?

the bottom of the pin has a look so I’m guess a dangle is missing. Also, someone filed into the top of both earrings. I don’t want to drop acid directly on them. My dad always did and it made me cringe

Dessert58, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so 1/20th 12K Gold Filled .... you're thinking is only for the screw on hardware ?

I guess that's possible...
    if the filing on both earrings , was where original hooks once stood.....

3. gauntlettgems

I tested before I saw the mark and the frame tests as solid gold. It stood under the acid for more than 20 minutes Then I saw and tested the hardware and it didn’t hold or faded away. I as just wondering. You think the screwbacks are replacement? I wondered about the scratches on the back

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

that's my call.......... the scratching per say......well it's way too large to be just a test scratch........and it looks to me like someone wanted to get rid of all the solder from the hooks.....
    the screw backs are too large for the rim , so a bar had to be soldered in place to accommodate them.....and as u can see the screw backs ...still peek over the bars edges.... a competent fix...but not really professional ........... imho;)

5. komokwa

I'll bet @kyratango could have done a nicer job !!!!:hilarious:....:playful:
    :playful::playful:

kyratango, judy and Marote like this.
  6. komokwa

still , a nice set !!!:happy:

kyratango, judy and Marote like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely set, gauntlett.:)
    Someone removed the original hooks and replaced them with screwbacks. The rough spots on top and bottom of the back are where the hook used to be.
    Looks like it had a safety chain with a small safety pin attached to that loop.
    The clasp is a replacement. Maybe they thought that with that roll-over safety clasp they wouldn't need the safety chain.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 1:29 PM
    Dessert58, komokwa, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The earrings could have had leverback earhooks similar to these, hence the rough spots on top and bottom of the backs.

Abacks.jpeg

9. gauntlettgems

Draft saved Draft deleted