Abstract Surrealist Horses oil Painting Signed..?? Russian..??

Discussion in 'Art' started by BTZ64, Jan 17, 2022.

?

Any idea origin and period of this Painting and Painter...1920..30..50..?/

1. European American..Russian soviet..??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Abstract Surrealist..???

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

P1070091.JPG P1070091.JPG P1070092.JPG P1070093.JPG P1070097.JPG P1070098.JPG Hello to all of you...And Happy New Year 2022...Hoping that this Covid has not affected badly any of you.I am back to France now..And have been in a wee Brocante last week in Pau 64000.... Part of different objects I bought..Was this Oil Painting Abstract or Surrealist representing some Horses Composition...The painting looks quite old and measures 40 75cm,it is signed C.M...??? 11..??? Was thinking maybe a Russian Painter because 1 letter looks like russian..?? If you could give me your Point de Vue and expertise.....Maybe that is a nice piece of art...????
    Big Merci and Bonne Annee 2022 Again..!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2022
    reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Happy New Year to you too BTZ64! It's a nice size and has a Russian "flare" about it, I can see that too! I believe this was done by a student artist. A glance at the "get 'er done" tacking on the back of the frame and the sorting of styles and paint techniques on front - lead me to believe this is student work. The picture of the signature is too small and much too blurry to try to read. Perhaps you want to re photograph that?

If you will return to this thread and click "Full Size" on your images post, we could more easily see them.

reader, Houseful, BTZ64 and 1 other person like this.
  3. antidiem

If you can take some photos in better lighting, I could better tell you what you've got. I cann't tell if the background was painted in, or if it was pasted on. It has a "tissue paper" aura. The horses appear to be outlined in pencil. Not sure...

reader, Houseful and BTZ64 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Someone dipping his toe into German Expressionism.

Debora

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  6. antidiem

Indeed, Debora, you have such a good eye.

It kind of looks like a drawing was colored on thin tissue paper and then glued onto a canvas, but I find that to be hard to believe any artist would ever do that.. ??

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A collage you mean. Lots of artists worked in paper collage but can't think of one who worked with tissue paper. I wouldn't be sure yours was done by a professional artist. And may be a copy of another work. You might want to do a Google Image search, if you haven't already done so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collage

Debora

BTZ64, Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

Yes, the result winds up to be a collage, thank you Debora.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Unfortunately,the signature is blurry on my screen.

BTZ64 likes this.
  10. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Big Thanks to you...Will do all that 2morrow at daylight..!!!

11. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Will do tomorrow better hopefully..!!

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hi Debora...Don/t think it is a Collage...??? But better photos tomorrow might help...jb

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not a collage? Okay. In photographs, appears to have a lot of surface texture. But you should be able to tell by looking at it whether something glued to service.

Debora

14. antidiem

Thanks, the pictures are much easier to see now!
    Still looks like thin paper glued to the front of a canvas. Will need better detail photos and of the name too. Is anything written on the back, perhaps beneath the edge of the fabric on the stretcher bar frame?

Debora, I was thinking of the term "decoupage" rather than "collage" lol

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Decoupage is a form of collage.

Debora

16. antidiem

We will need some detailed close ups please, to tell more about it.
    Could you please take a shot or two of the edges too?

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is that a commercial canvas? It looks like an improvisation.

Debora

18. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hi there, Have tried to take better photos at daylight....Have as well checked with my old Father (Still good and sharp Eye...)if there was any sign of collage or decoupage....In fact it is directly painted on this rough linen support ,flattened..???..Signed ??? and heavily vernished ....We had to clean it up as it was very dirty so we did use white spirit and all colors and signature appeared more clearly.....My old Father think it is quite old....Maybe 1940 ..??? or earlier..?? I will now download you more photos and details...Hope your colleagues will have acces as well...Thanking you in advance...Cordial P1070100.JPG P1070101.JPG P1070102.JPG P1070106.JPG P1070106.JPG P1070107.JPG P1070109.JPG P1070111.JPG P1070112.JPG P1070113.JPG P1070114.JPG ement...JJB

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks Expressionist to me. Possibly inspired by Franz Marc, of 'Blaue Reiter' fame, who also painted horses. Not as powerful as a Franz Marc painting, but still nice.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    verybrad and BTZ64 like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Franz Marc "Tower of Horses":

upload_2022-1-18_12-21-39.jpeg

His "Deer in the Woods":

upload_2022-1-18_12-22-20.jpeg

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted