Featured Abstract print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Potteryplease, Aug 20, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

So I found this in the antique mall where I'm a dealer. There was visible damage, but I liked the image, and the way it was framed made me think that perhaps the print had slid down behind the matte, such that I could re-matte it, so I took a $60 chance.

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_1017.jpeg

When I opened it up, there's substantially more than surface damage-- someone has cut the print itself and, I'd guess, based on the new-ish tape, re-matted it at the angle. I'm gonna guess that they did so to remove what was probably more extensive damage, perhaps even mildew.

IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

IMG_1021.jpeg

IMG_1022.jpeg

1. Does anybody recognize the signature?

2. Was it dishonest for the dealer to have done these things and then concealed them, or is it simply another tough lesson for me in 'buyer beware'?

(I know the dealer a tiny bit in passing, but def not personally.)

And lastly: this is a $75K painting on canvas by Frederick Hammersley:

IMG_1023.jpeg

https://www.lamodern.com/auctions/2015/10/modern-art-design/333

Thank you!!!

reader, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

3. Potteryplease

4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

5. Potteryplease

I saw that one too.

I live and I learn, I guess.

reader likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Pity but... You have no way of knowing that the cropping and reframing was done by the dealer, do you?

Debora

reader, Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  8. Potteryplease

I'd say it's highly likely. I can certainly ask him. He's almost all artworks, and that's an interest of mine so I stop by his space. I've seen paintings that's he's bought from other dealers and then jacked up the price.

I'm a little torn between shaking my head at my own gullibility, and on the other hand, feeling like 'full disclosure' is a reasonable expectation. I have enough visual sense to know it wasn't intended to be on an angle like that, but apparently not enough common sense to guess that someone would deliberately conceal its larger damage.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

If he has any integrity he should offer you your money back. Its one thing to buy a print ,but its another to find its been mangled. Im also betting he knew because what art dealer worth their salt doesnt take a picture apart to check for info,damage,to clean,see if other works are behind, etc ? Ah but Im a salty old thing so there is that !

reader, Figtree3, NanaB and 2 others like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There's certainly no reason why you shouldn't bring it to his attention. See what he says.

Debora

reader and Potteryplease like this.
  11. Potteryplease

In addition to our monthly rent, the antique mall also takes a 15% commission. When I talk to him, I think I'll ask if he'll buy it back from me, minus the 15%, so he's not losing any money. I'll eat the $10 and then he can do whatever he wants with it.

johnnycb09, Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Very amicable approach. Best wishes for your success, Potteryplease.

reader, johnnycb09 and Potteryplease like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is.
    Good luck.:) If he won't pay you back, scrap him off your Xmas card list.:playful:

reader, johnnycb09 and Potteryplease like this.
  14. Potteryplease

Thank you!

reader and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. Potteryplease

Update: I talked with the dealer who sold me that print today, and while he didn't want to do any kind of refund (too complicated), he graciously offered me a swap for any comparably-priced piece in his space.

So I now own this 12" x 16" painting by Oregon artist Norma Driscoll. I'm happy with the outcome.

IMG_1564.jpeg

(Just a place-holder frame for now.)

reader, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's nice. And I like the frame. Think it's visual strength compliments the visual strength of the work.

Debora

17. Potteryplease

Yeah, I think you're right.

reader, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I like this artist's piece much more than the crooked cut one and think the frame is just fine the way it is. Good Job, Potteryplease! :)

komokwa, johnnycb09 and Potteryplease like this.
  19. Potteryplease

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice work...frames fine !!!

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted