Featured A tale of 3 pastes

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

IMG_3614.jpeg IMG_3604.jpeg IMG_3609.jpeg IMG_3610.jpeg IMG_3606.jpeg IMG_3605.jpeg IMG_3607.jpeg IMG_3611.jpeg IMG_3612.jpeg IMG_3613.jpeg I bought these two brooches and the pendant the last few weeks online for a few euros. They came from France and Belgium.
    The Sunbust pendant is just potmetal and paste, but it really looks like the real deal!
    I believe its a period piece (ca 1880s). Maybe a try out before the jeweler used gold and diamonds for his design?
    Its all sparkly and glittery.
    Lovely piece bought for well under 10€ including shipping.

The flower and bow brooch looks amazing! Front and back look like what good quality should look like.
    If you didn't know better you would guess its French and its early to mid 19th century.
    But the (more modern) claps looks original to the piece and if you see the '835' mark hidden on the underside of the needle, you know its more likely 1930's and could be German (Belgian?) or made in a Scandinavian country.
    Apparently they used these jewelry techniques for a long time.
    A bit modern for me but still a nice brooch.

The small round brooch looks like a Georgian converted button on the front but I don't see any evidence of that on the back.
    The hinge and clasp look all original to the piece. I can see the French boar head- mark on the C-clasp so its made after 1838.
    Its still a nice early Victorian brooch though.
    So I didn't win the jackpot, but still 3 lovely paste jewels to add to the collection.
    Which one do you prefer?

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like the bow. It may be newer, but it captures that "ancien regime" vibe.

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wonderful little "show and tell" ... with great photos as usual!

I like the sunburst best. But I can't say no to open backed/sparkly pieces for some reason. Just seems like a bit of extra work went in.

Lovely trio here!

4. Dessert58

Thank you moreotherstuff and lucille for the comments and the likes.
    I haven't decided yet which one is my own favorite.
    The star pendant might get the most wear: these days are perfect for it.
    It doesn't always have to cost a small fortune to look like it did :cat:

IvaPan, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

And I'll take the button. There. Now you don't have to worry about them anymore. :D

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd nab the button too. If it's not an old button it was made to look like one. I just bought a similar starburst less than a month ago. Mine is a pin, and it has a modern silver mark. You might want to go over yours and make sure it's just costume.

IvaPan, Dessert58 and Bronwen like this.
  7. Dessert58

The star is not gold, not silver, no diamonds unfortunately.
    That would have bern nice though :cat:

komokwa and IvaPan like this.
  8. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

I like the round pin best. Thank you for sharing these. They are great finds.

Dessert58 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted