Featured A strange find - any info on African(?) carved wooden crocodile man statue?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 8, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store today; it was part of a donation from a house that was full of oriental art & antiques + this statue, as well as a African helmet mask (which is why I am assuming this is African).
    I bought this because I like unusual things - and I have never seen anything like it!
    Can anyone tell me anything about it - googling carved wood figure with crocodile (or alligator) head - and with & without African brought me nothing that came close
    It is 40 1/2 inches tall & it is clearly a male.
    It has some symbolism - it's a 1/2 man & 1/2 crocodile - and notice 1 side of the man has reg skin & 1 side has crocodile/gator hide
    Has anyone seen anything like this?
    PS - The head is broken (which is how I got them to lower the price - plus they couldn't find anything on it either) - is it ok for me to glue it back; it fits together perfect?
    Thank you for any help with this one!

ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 1AA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 1AAA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 2AA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 2AAA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 3AA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 3AAA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 5AA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 5AAA.JPG

FishLure, judy and dude like this.
  2. journeymagazine

These are from photos I took outside but I thought the details were better inside with the flash - but in these you can see the bottom & a small horn drum & some beads that were with it.

Also - the pointy spears? Armor? sticking up from each shoulder; does that help identify where it's from?

Again, thank you for any information.

ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 9AA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 6AA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 6AAA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 7AA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 7AAA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 8AA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 8AAA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 8BAA.JPG ART CARVED AFRICAN CROCODILE MAN STATUE 8BAAA.JPG

mmarco102 and judy like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

judy, Potteryplease, dude and 3 others like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Close enough!! I even tried image search but it was with my phone camera so that may be why.
    Thank you again!

judy and dude like this.
  5. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Yes, from New Guinea, probably the Sepik (not Septik) river region. If you google "New Guinea crocodile man" (you can also add "carving") you will find quite a bit of information.

Firemandk, judy, dude and 3 others like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9443EEF4-628F-4E57-996F-11CEC482BE5F.jpeg
    This is a Septik River! :hilarious:

Pat Dennis, Firemandk, judy and 5 others like this.
  8. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I love it when y'all call in one of the big guns!

9. journeymagazine

Me too - and this forum has a ton of them!!
    THANK YOU!

Potteryplease and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted