A Site worth studying-'Sotheby's /Modern Discoveries' | Encounters

Discussion in 'Art' started by bosko69, Jul 28, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Dear Friends-Art lives & superb pieces are bring created this very second-chk this out along & also Christies,etc.Plus I could use an extra 200G's for the remodel/or escape in this final decade of my life.

2. bosko69

My old Art Prof (James Rosen) always said,a superb piece of art is always fresh,antiquity plays no part in it's brilliance.
    My cobwebbed 50 yr old skull got that when We first saw Botticelli's "Primavera'-You see in person,it was like a Pre-Raphaelite masterpiece painted by a deity,or The Deity..

3. bosko69

Bottichell-i painted signs & illustrated books,wine labels,parts catalogues for 30-40 yrs...this ancient Florentine's (precision of stroke,yet freshness of image is rare,perhaps a few crumbs in a billion-Franz Halls-who looks nothing like 'Botti',had that same directness,Franz is that 16th Cent guy who caught second of time, brilliante-ey ? You see Franz's common men & women working,getting drunk,fornicating...you can also obliviously see that some of his neighbors were ('feeble-minded/mad/drunk').It is estimated that many of his portraits were done 'alla prima'-like a Polaroid snap,wet on wet quick.
    PS- Bottichell doesn't look like a washed-out textbook in person,que miracule ! (pardon my atrocious spelling,sometimes Goog's Spl-Chk tires me ).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Frans Hals, Dutch, not German.:rage::playful:

The Primavera is much more interesting than his Birth of Venus, imo. While everyone was looking at the Birth of Venus, I turned around to look at the Portinari Altar by Hugo van der Goes. Talk about masterpiece.:jawdrop:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Michelangelo made snowmen, and Fragonard decorated doors. Botticelli's Venus and Mars was the front panel on a chest.

A lot of effort goes into making things in museums look pristine.

The Rokeby Venus is a popular image in Britain's National Gallery:
    _73474948_rokeby_natgall.jpg

But here's how it looked after an encounter with a suffragette in 1906:
    Richardson-Venus.png

komokwa and Houseful like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted