A Request for More Info About This Cushman Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MichaelM, Feb 5, 2022.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Hnet.com-image.jpg Hnet.com-image (1).jpg Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and new to collecting nice, well-built furniture. I recently acquired this Cushman desk and I've been reading through this forum for more info. There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable members here. I believe a member named Drew knows a lot about the company.

I'll post a couple pictures but can post more if anyone wants to see anything specific. Thanks!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Thank you, I wasn't sure how to tag a member.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

MichaelM and judy like this.
  5. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

My wife did some digging and found the desk. Still not sure on the chair though. The picture with the placket thing is the bottom of the chair/stool.

Attached Files:

judy, antidiem and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Thanks!

7. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Can you please share a photo of the chair, stool. I seen one of those recently, somewhere….

MichaelM, judy and antidiem like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It seems to be a vanity. Which makes sense because it has a stool rather than a chair. I like the chunky craftsy style.:)

MichaelM and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  10. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Thank you, that is the piece. I hadn't thought of it not being a desk. In the catalog she found that I posted above it shows the vanity and mirror but I don't think it shows the chair. So we're missing the mirror. I appreciate the help.

KikoBlueEyes, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

'Any Jewelry' is correct.... Priscilla Alden 1943-45. Note; the Cushman oval tag should be made of celluloid - during the WWII, metal shortages prevented the use of steel or brass. In 1946 onward the tags were made of brass (same size and design).

12. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Thanks Drew that's really interesting about tag. The celluloid tag, to me, looked like some kind of metal. I'd assumed brass so I thought it was after the war. Any Jewelry was definitely right on the years since what they posted was identical. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together that it should not be made of brass.

They did a good job with the celluloid in making it look brass. I felt it though after I read your post and I can definitely feel the difference.

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

14. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

That little bench is a prime example of what made Cushman so interesting .. . a modernist/Colonial design like no one else did. Remember, we had just past the 150 anniversary of the American Revolution and Colonial revival was very popular, but furniture makers made faithful copies . . . Cushman got creative with design. Other firms followed with their 'modern' look, but none were as fine as Herman DeVries designed furniture who was Cushman's designer 1933-49.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Figtree3, Born2it, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  16. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Yes, it should be a beige celluloid with a goldish finish to look like brass.

Figtree3, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted