Featured A Recent Find: Two 18th century(?) Jewels Reunited (actually not really)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shamster, Mar 28, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

Just want to share this find: I bought this little flemish cross earlier this month, knowing it has one part missing but still found it lovely. One day later, I spotted on ebay the missing part from which the cross shall hang from! Immediately bought it. Got some details missing unfortunately, but cant ask for more. They are not from the same piece obviously, as they have different metal purity and tone, 1.jpg but still looks great when worn together. Does anyone want to share a bit more knowledge on them?

J Dagger, Dessert58, Marote and 7 others like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Shamster- All i can say is 'Sham-Wow !'-I love Flemish Crosses.The odds of finding one where I live are less than zero,but on our forum-here's 2 in one day !
    That's why we hang here.

3. shamster

Thank you:) These are getting harder to find nowadays yes, and even the silver ones you can find online are getting pricey, so really need extra luck. I guess you are reffering to the flemish heart posted by someone else?I find it super cool as well and that thread inspired me to post mine here haha as I don't know much about them

4. shamster

I meaning, it's not about finding one-it's finding one half on the first day not knowing if you can find the missing half ever again, but it just shows up one day later!

Figtree3, J Dagger, Dessert58 and 3 others like this.
  5. bosko69

Did you find it online or in person ?
    PS-Just read yr newest post-you found the 2 parts on separate days ?
    PSS-I assume u might be in Europe ?

Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  6. shamster

I found the cross in the window of an antique shop just on a very porpular tourist spot, kinda unbelievable as their prices are usually super high considering the location! For the silder(now a brooch), I saw it on ebay but think it has been listed for a long time.

7. shamster

yes separately, I'm in uk currently

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous. Not exactly a match, but two great pieces. Probably 19th century rather than 18th.
    Tagging our Flemish girl and Flemish (and Brabant) jewellery aficionada @Dessert58 .:singing::)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  9. shamster

haha I'm fine with the age, it already got a super old look! But definitely georgian I guess?

kyratango, Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  10. shamster

btw will you shed some light on another piece I posted? I need some professional thoughts on that one as it looks really confusing to me :)

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  11. shamster

PS: the brooch even got two tiny table cut diamonds with it, among the rose cuts 3.jpg 4.jpg

Figtree3, Dessert58, Marote and 3 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The top part is older than the cross imo, but let's wait for Dessert.
    The cross looks Biedermeier to me, so later. I am in Dutch Brabant, near the Belgian border, and we had similar crosses.
    I have to stop now, brain fatigue, but others will take a look.:)

13. shamster

The top is 14ct yellow gold and cross 18ct rose gold, if that helps a bit more

Dessert58, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  14. bosko69

I love your cat photo avatar-we've had various incarnations of white cats since the late 70's.This is Pablo.He left us about a year ago at 19 years.

Attached Files:

15. shamster

He's handsome, and must have a long happy life with you! My avatar is my cat who will reach his forth year this summer, I hope he can live that long too :)

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cute little babykins. I was owned by cats for the first 57 years of my life.

The cross and the pin may not be an exact match, but they could have been married up 100 years ago. I wouldn't care either, if I found them here. In the USA we only find similar pieces if someone brought them over in a suitcase ... and good luck with that.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  17. shamster

Surely not the original match as the gold is different, but fate brings them together anyway! :)

Any Jewelry, Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Don't let the cat find them, or they may end up separated and under the couch.

kyratango and shamster like this.
  19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

They are very nice together! That is true luck to find nearly matching elements in within few days:woot:
    I can wait years to complement a piece...:joyful:

Any Jewelry, Dessert58 and shamster like this.
  20. shamster

The upper part has been listed on ebay for months I think, and seemingly no watching at all, I once saw it but knowing not what it is. Then After I bought the cross, it shows up among the new listing (relisted I guess) on that day and I just realize it's been waiting for soooo long!

Any Jewelry, Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted