A question on a 1960's Midge (Barbie's friend) & a bat?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 17, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this Midge/Barbie in a box of GI Joe soldiers, but when I did an image search all I got was clone?! Is this a clone doll?
    On her left side of her butt there is a 1 and a 2 - is this a number 2 (early)doll?
    Also any idea how/if I can get the green of her face without hurting her?

I also found this old Louisville signed bat - does anyone have any idea who signed it?
    Thank you guys!

TOY DOLL MIDGE 1964 BARBIE 1AAA.jpg TOY DOLL MIDGE 1964 BARBIE 2BA.jpg TOY DOLL MIDGE 1964 BARBIE 9A+AA.jpg TOY DOLL MIDGE 1964 BARBIE 9AA+AA.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    judy and KSW like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

3. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

First the good news: She's a genuine Barbie Ponytail, Number 4 (I think though I am a Sindy girl and get numbers mixed up )
    NOT 2, 2 is handpainted and has the same face as 1, just a different body

Bad news: she's basically ruined as that green is not coming off any time soon. It's also the most extensive green ear I have ever seen.
    It's a reaction between the metal in earrings and the vinyl of the dolls' face and it's pretty much impossibe to shift if you don't know what you are doing and even if you do it can take months, if at all.

bercrystal, komokwa, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Thank toy - she had a rainbow knitted cap that tied under her chin - I thought that had caused it but maybe it was to cover it!

judy likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Oops - the bat!

SPORT BASEBALL BAT SIGNED 3AA.jpg SPORT BASEBALL BAT SIGNED 5AA.jpg SPORT BASEBALL BAT SIGNED 5DAA.jpg

judy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The green is in her hair too. My first thought was someone added it as a makeup statement to accessorize her ensemble. Like a runaway model.

Debora

7. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I believe she's a number six Barbie.

Does her coat have a label?

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe you could sell her as 5 o'clock shadow Midge.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The name on the bat kind of looks like Danny but not sure at all. Also, don't know what the two big marks above the writing might be. Kind of quotation marks? After the word, it could be a number in an arch, or maybe there is some surname there. Anybody could have signed it. Player, coach, major leaguer, minor leaguer, Little leaguer, random person... It is challenging!

That's all I can come up with.

judy likes this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. journeymagazine

The mark above last name I think is 3b - like my thrift store uses for cashier in case price tag is removed (3b - $3 blue: color of day for any specials)
    They may have found in a thrift.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Chili Davis was an outfielder and designated hitter, according to Wikipedia. I can't really remember.

i need help likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Hey there! I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, so the info might not be needed anymore, but here you go anyway.... Your Barbie is a #6 ponytail. The #6 were the only PTs that had the Barbie/Midge stamp on the body.

She does have quite a case of green ear! I've had good luck removing it with CLR, but your girl's case is so extensive it might not work. However, her face paint is lovely so I'd give it a go. Take her earrings out and then gently remove her head, being careful not to split the neck. I usually q-tip the green girls daily with CLR, but I think you can be pretty aggressive on this girl. I'd place a cotton ball soaked in CLR on either side of her head (both inside and outside). Give her a good wipe down and change out the cotton balls daily. It's probably going to take weeks on this girl, but it's worth a try!

Figtree3 and BoudiccaJones like this.
  16. journeymagazine

Take her head off?? Just pull off or is there a trick?

17. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

It's easiest to take them off at an angle. Just give it a little side to side wiggle while applying gentle pressure as you lift it off. You can get splits if you pop them straight off. ;)

18. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

(Bit late now but I did actually mean to say SIX not FOUR, got terrible dyscalculia and get numbers mixed up)

That is horrible green ear, worst I have seen.
    I am currently dousing Stacey in CLR but I haven't ever had fab results with it. Maybe it's a different formula in England.

I often use bleaching cream which I have to be careful with as it can also bleach the plastic.
    Butter works for some pen marks too but this is a nasty case, butter won't touch this xx

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted