Featured A Quarter-Sawn Craftsman Zhongguo Cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ghopper1924, Oct 28, 2024 at 4:40 PM.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

See what I did there? Zhongguo is a Chinese name for China. Fun, eh?
    So.....

We recently acquired this china cabinet from a member of Ms. Ghopper's family. It's been in the family since 1915 or so. It's quarter-sawn oak, with a mirrored upper interior and three VERY heavy glass shelves. The legs are a nod to late Victorian style; otherwise, the lines are craftsman. The light was added by Ms. G's father several decades ago. It really doesn't detract.

There is no other dining room furniture associated with this, and I have never seen anything like it before. It's from a large city in the U.S. Midwest: Does anyone have a clue as to who might have made it? Even if you don't, we love it, especially because its filled with smalls from her family, and a couple of large Muller Freres vases that we found as well.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Marote, pearlsnblume, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Yes you had me confused, even after reading the first time. I thought, why the heck does he think this was made in China? Duh…

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I could see this being made in a mid western factory. I think its just a generic (but lovely) mass produced piece. All those pretties in it are perfectly displayed. I see room though,an anathema to me ! Must fill ! Must fill ! :hilarious:

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea where it came from, but even the generic stuff from 1910 was better-made than the expensive stuff now.

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted