A Pricey Piece of Canadian Glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kentworld, Jul 24, 2014.

1. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Well, goodness!
    And the beavers in that band aren't even playing any instruments! :beaver: :D

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Next time I'm out, I'm looking for one of those!

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Apparently, antique Canadian pressed glass is fairly sought after probably because it wasn't made in great quantities. Go, Beavers! :beaver::beaver::beaver:

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wow! And I thought glass wasn't selling so well these days...

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I did notice the chip on the base, the seller called it roughness. To me roughness would be on a mold line not on the base. A nice price for a great goblet.
    greg

7. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Greg,

I love the "Excellent Condition" except..........

I don't know how many auctions I have seen with one form of that statement or another. In my mind, it isn't excellent.

8. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

this was a very limited production for a church celebration as noted in inscription on base: ST. JEAN BAPTISTE QUEBEC 24 JUIN 1880; made by Excelsior Glass Co. of Quebec.

10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

WOWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

St. Jean Baptiste!! LOL! Once upon a time I took my non-Catholic husband to a church of that name in NYC. After the service, we were walking out the main aisle when I heard that unmistakable sound of the nun's wooden clicker. I froze in my tracks -- could feel all the blood draining out of my face -- breath coming in short & shallow -- hands shaking.

A pair of little nuns came up to me, and one of them very sweetly handed me my gloves which I had left in the pew.

Husband later told me he thought I'd had some kind of seizure. Well...I had!

12. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

When I was in Catholic school the Nuns had the rulers and they would rap you across the palm of your hand if you misbehaved. I can see why you froze in your tracks silver. :eek::oops::arghh:

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I was wondering, as the prominence of the name would seem to me to be a marketing minus. Commemoratives explains it.

So is there other production of this pattern without the inscription and, supposedly, without the corresponding price?

14. TallCakes

... "The Saint Jean Baptiste Society took as its emblems the maple leaf and the beaver, iconic symbols of Canada..." just hypothesizing here, but perhaps someone at Excelsior Glass was a member of the society, which might explain how they managed to get the limited production. This goblet is not part of a greater pattern; just a single piece made specifically for the society.

15. TallCakes

it seems the reference of this being a church commemorative piece is in error. June 24 is St. John the Baptist day in Quebec.

16. TallCakes

"On June 24, 1880, the Saint-Jean-Baptiste Society organized the gathering of all francophone communities across North America. The event was the first National Congress of French Canadians (Congrès national des Canadiens français). On this occasion, the citizens of Quebec City were the first ones to hear the "Ô Canada" of Calixa Lavallée, based on a poem by a Quebec Superior Court judge, Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song was commissioned by the Saint-Jean-Baptiste Society. It was well received but did not become a widely known song for many years. English words were later written for a royal tour in 1901. In 1980, "O Canada" became the official national anthem of Canada."

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted