Featured A new addition to my collection - gold & turquoise

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lapin, Aug 8, 2024.

1. Lapin

Lapin Member

20240808_215113.jpg 20240808_215240.jpg Arrived from the auction house today & I love it! The marks indicate 14k. I'm guessing reconstituted turquoise or faux? I'd love to know more about it. I am guessing at 50s/60s (based on the contents of my father's cousin Margaret's jewelry box) and maybe it is French?

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

More 1970s, I think. Dome & cluster & free form rings popular then. I would think the turquoise was glass if it weren't for the slight variations in color.

mirana, kyratango, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wrong mark & fineness. Not that I can tell you what it is.

4. Lapin

Lapin Member

Ah right, thank you. It will be another one for me to annoy my jeweller with in that case! I find 60s and 70s blur together - we lived in Milan in the early 70s and my childhood memories are like 2001 A Space Odyssey sometimes. It was love at first sight with this one, though.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree re 1970s date.

Debora

kyratango, Bronwen, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It has the old mark though - Ct. It might be older than you think.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

British. Or possibly one of our colonies. The ct is the clue, as well as using Persian turquoise. I think sixties, that style with tiny cabs was big here, as was the sort of roughened bark finish on that gold. I’ve similar costume pieces.

8. Lapin

Lapin Member

Ah right. I didn't think 14k/c was very common in the UK, so had somewhat ruled that out as an option. I have got some UK 15k/c rings -conveniently dateable! I thought the 'external' stamps seemed uncommon for the UK too - shame there isn't a full set. I can't even tell if there's an import mark - the top ones look like a couple of swiggles to my eye! I shall be Googling Persian turquoise - thanks for the tip on that! It is very different looking from the stones in an old silver Navajo ring I have - though still lovely. Thank you!

kyratango, Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's a great looking ring. I bet that is turquoise.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Persian turquoise has long been a thing here. It’s a wonderful clear deep sky blue, rarely has inclusions. I’m staring at this again, and wondering Hong Kong.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted