A little something from Seville

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lilit, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

Hi guys,

i was in Seville for the past week and was surprised to find the cutest antique market and stores in a nice neighborhood. I bought this in an antique stores. The saint is saint antonio but I bought it more for the embroidery which I find to be sooo cute and romantic. The picture is pinned on a piece of fabric, the pine are old and 2 of them have falen off. Maybe the picture is newer than the fabric. My question is does anyone know what this style/fabric/religious art is called.

Attached Files:

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very sweet, Lilit. Yes, it is St Anthony of Padua. How big is it?

You said the picture (card?) is pinned to the textile. Do you think the textile is made for a picture? If it is, it could be the backing of some sort of religious banner.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You don't give measurements. I assume it's a mounted postcard. What's on the reverse? Here's another. Identified by Pinterest poster as St. Joseph. Origin not Spanish to my eye.

Debora

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 10.40.22 AM.png

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  5. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

I added a picture of the back and as you can see by me holding it it’s small and indeed there is nothing in the middle so looks like it’s made for a postcard

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

I added a picture

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, Joseph. The lilies he is holding are an allusion to his flowering staff. With Anthony the child is usually facing the viewer, not snuggling.

Lilit likes this.
  8. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

thank you so much, the seller told me st anthony but i just looked online you are right

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Quite sweet. 1950-ish I'd think. But I could be wrong.

Debora

Bronwen and Lilit like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Of course it is!:banghead: St Anthony of Padua wore a cassock, not the kind of dress thought to be first century Palestinian.:rolleyes:

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted