Featured A few more pieces, southwestern naja necklaces and a sterling dagger pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by NaptownFTW, Mar 10, 2024.

1. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Here are a few other pieces plus an extra from my buy last week. I told @Any Jewelry I would post the rest when I got the chance, and today I managed to find time.

Heavy (about 10 ozt if I remember correctly) cast necklace. Signed W A on the naja. Strung on what looks like foxtail chain. This mark does not appear in my first edition of the Little Book of Marks on Southwestern Silver by Hougart. IMG_3919.jpeg IMG_3920.jpeg IMG_3922.jpeg

Sterling naja necklace, stamped R Begay. The mark does not appear in my reference book. IMG_3915.jpeg IMG_3923.jpeg IMG_3917.jpeg

And a piece I’ve had for a little while, a sterling dagger pin (maybe a kirpan). Approx 2-1/2” tall. IMG_3924.jpeg IMG_3925.jpeg IMG_3928.jpeg
    And before I forget, thanks to everyone for all the help on the other pieces.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice Turq in the shadow box necklace......good workmanship !

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love that dagger ! Was $1800 the price ???

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My Barton Wright book has a Navajo silversmith named William Anderson whose mark is WA. You would have to check if he makes/made similar work.
    It is a great necklace, love the stylized cast squash blossoms.
    Not in mine either. Many script Begay marks, but no script R Begay.

Another good piece. Excellent choices.:)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Sweet brooch. Not a kirpan imo, the hilt of a kirpan has a curved top.
    More likely some kind of jambiya, so Middle Eastern.
    The inlay on the hilt looks pretty real, but I suspect it is Czech Peking glass. Very nice.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is.:) Personally I wouldn't call it shadowbox though, not enough "box".
    To me this is shadowbox:

Asha.jpeg

reader, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

I think it’s glass as well.
    It was no where near $1800 for me but may have been when originally made. Pieces like this fetched much higher prices when they were new. Having that style pricing on it is nice for authenticating NA pieces though.

8. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

William Anderson and Wilbur Anderson both are in my Billie Hougart book under WA. The Wilbur mark is a linked WA and not consistent with this mark. All the William pieces I can find online also have a sterling mark, and the center of the W is lower than the outer peaks, more like an inverted M than a W. It still could be his mark, and when selling it, I may put “William Anderson?” on it, but it’s an uncertain attribution.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted